Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off a Prompt in Inventor 2012

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
cascadety
1579 Views, 17 Replies

Turn off a Prompt in Inventor 2012

Hello,

I wan to turn this prompt off...period.  Not fix it, just turn it off. 

"The location of the selected file is not in the active project. To ensure that the file can be found when you open files that reference it, add the location to the project or move the file to a location specified in the project."

Looked through options, changed approproate setting to "Never". Still prompts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi cascadety,

Is there a reason you are wanting to save these files outside of the Project search path? This is typically not a good idea (which is what the prompt is telling you).

Would it make more sense to create a project file at the top of your directory structure so that it will see all of your files? For instance if you create a Project file in the Engineering folder.

Or is it possible that you've accidentally started working using the Default project file, rather than your company's established project file (or files)?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 18
Cadmanto
in reply to: cascadety

I totally agree with Curtis.  If you are working outside of the master project working folder on a consistant basis, then there is really no reason not to create a folder structure that is within the working folder.

But, if you are adimit about doing this, then you will find this prompt in the application options under the "Prompts" tab.

prompts.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 18
cascadety
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thank you for the suggestions.

This method of patthing was established by the previous department adminstrator.  As I understand it, the engineering department tree has in the tens of thousands of parts that would require repathing if a project folder is created.  Parts, assemblies and presentations all reside in separate folders within the engineering forlder.

The prompt you're referring to has "never" selected.  Still prompts.

Any other ideas?

Message 5 of 18
Cadmanto

Key word "Previous" . Smiley Happy

Not sure why it is not working, but with that said, I have migrated a lot of files in my experience and while I am not sitting in your chair, unless you have hundreds of individual folders for each file, I would be willing to bet (and I am not a betting man) that you could grab folders with a bunch of files in them and move the folders in to a folder within the working folder.  You have an opportunity to wrong a right here.  I would do it before it gets even worse.

If you do this, you will NEVER have to deal with this message again.  Smiley Wink

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 18

Hi cascadety,

I'm not suggesting that you move or repath any of the files, but simply use a Project file to see all of your existing files where they are. 

I suspect that if you create a Project file in the Engineering folder as marked here, it would then "see" most of your engineering files.

Autodesk Inventor Project 01.png

However, if your 4500-2 folder resides somewhere else that is not under the Engineering folder, then simply editing that project file and adding the 4500-2 folder as a Library,  a Workgroup Search Path, or adding another project file located in the 4500 folder (or above) as an Included File.

Without knowing the details it's difficult to say what the exact solution is, but I'm pretty certain it will come from modifying the Project file so that it is seeing these files and resolving the assembly links automatically. Turning off the prompt doesn't really fix the issue, and I don't know of anyway to do so if Cadmanto's first suggestion doesn't fix it.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 7 of 18
cascadety

Yeah, a gazillion subfolders.  So repathing is something the co. is not willing to pay me to do....

Creating the Project within the the Engieering folder did not seem to help.  But really not sure if I've implented it correctly.

Can you verify that turning that prompt setting to always/never actually does something?

Thanks again

Message 8 of 18

cascadety wrote:

Creating the Project within the the engineering folder did not seem to help.  But really not sure if I've implented it correctly.

Hi cascadety,

Can you share more information about where the 4500-2 folder resides in relation to the engineering folder? If so someone might be able to help you configure the project file to find this folder's contents, which would then eliminate the prompt.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 9 of 18

Certainly:

Departments\Engineering\Engineering Parts\Vertical Channels\4500-2

Thanks

Message 10 of 18
Cadmanto

I did change the prompt to "Never" and "Yes" in the first column and I opened a file outside of the project folder and I did not get prompted.  So, it did work as I thought and should have for you.

Sorry you are stuck with the mess that someone else created.  Stinks for you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 18

@cascadety wrote:

Certainly:

Departments\Engineering\Engineering Parts\Vertical Channels\4500-2

Thanks

Hi cascadety,

So if you create a project file in Engineering and set it as the Active project, then Inventor will search the Engineering folder and everything below it, and you should not get the message.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 12 of 18
cascadety

Thanks for the fixes.  I'll try them as soon as I can.

I agree, it seems odd the prompt toggle does not fix the issue on my end.

Message 13 of 18
Cadmanto

Maybe try restarting your machine or your Inventor session and see if that makes a difference.  I know when I have had a session open for a while with large files, the software can do some quarky things and a restart brings it back to normality. 

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 18
cascadety

Hello,

Unfortunately resetting the prompt toggle to yes/never (again), creating a new project folder within my "Engineering" directory, setting it active and restarting maching proved fruitless for me.  Prompt continues....

Message 15 of 18
Cadmanto

Wow, talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place!!! Smiley Frustrated

Any chance you have Vault?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 18
cascadety

No, we don't utilize Vault.

Message 17 of 18
Cadmanto

I just asked, because if you did have access to vault, it might have been a nice way to transition these files for you.

Not sure what else to tell you at this point other then good luck with this. Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 18 of 18
cascadety

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report