Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn an edge in sheet metal part

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
erazorzedge
391 Views, 2 Replies

Turn an edge in sheet metal part

Is there a way to get a true flat pattern of part that has flange on radiused or curved edge? See the attached part file... it's a radiused rectangular elbow cheek with a 0.25" turned edge along the heel and throat to allow for a pittsburgh lock. I made the part using the Contour Roll command which doesn't make anything close to a correct flat pattern.

From what I've seen Inventor doesn't know how to flatten a "deformed" part, but I thought I'd ask anyway to see if someone has found a work around. I know that the actual part/material will stretch; however, it's a common practice in light-gauge sheet metal (specifically ductwork) to add around a 0.25" to the extents of the radiused/curved portion of the flat pattern and use a turning machine to form the flange.

Product Design Suite 2017 x64
Windows 10 (Build 1511) Professional x64
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CCarreiras
in reply to: erazorzedge

Hi!!

No, it's not possible Inventor calculate this Flat Pattern.

This is a Plastic Deformation, not bending.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
erazorzedge
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks. I know this isn't straight forward bending/rolling, but it is a fundamental sheet metal feature. If I were to make the heel or throat of this elbow and place 0.25" flanges along the curved sides (instead of forming the pittsburgh lock), I would be able to create a flat pattern. And I know from experience that with small flanges (depending on metal thickness), I can roll the heel/throat with minimal distortion in the flanges. It just doesn't seem right that Inventor assumes how to unfold a contour roll in one instance that is correct, but absolutely failes in another instance.

In any event, I'm just looking to find out if anyone has a work around to not only model the part correctly, but also get a correct flat pattern. Possibly by having certain features suppressed or something?

Product Design Suite 2017 x64
Windows 10 (Build 1511) Professional x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report