Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tubing with Bends using Shortest Path

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
lesmfunk
335 Views, 4 Replies

Tubing with Bends using Shortest Path

I am trying to establish a method for routing tubing with bends using the shortest path. I have no existing geometry to constrain to, just two parallel connection points with offset axes.

I don't want the tube to go to the moon and back (Autoroute creates 5 segments. I need only 3.)

How do I create the run such as in the attached picture. The top tube was revolved straight and bent using bend tool outside of T&P. I want to copy that tube using T&P so that I can access the CNC bend tables. My first few tries aren't working too well.

Any ideas of where to start?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: lesmfunk

You have no existing geometry to constrain to... but you can include geometry in your route sketch, and use that to set constraints.  Any surface can be included as a work plane in your sketch.  First rule of thumb (for my anyway) Never use Auto Route.  It rarely gives you what you want, and does not update well.... at all!  (can you tell I hate auto routes?).  So pick your route straight out from each of the two connections, at a random or set distance... doesn't matter.  Then route a line between the two endpoints.  From there, if you need to, you can Include Geometry to establish some work planes.  You can then add or remove dimensions and constraints to lock down the route in such a way that it will update properly if those two connections should move later in the design process.  If you are still getting failure, check that your bend radius is not too large for the space you're working in... you might have to tweak that until it works.

Message 3 of 5
blair
in reply to: cbenner

Possibly your segment length might be shorter than what you have allowed in your "Style" for that size tube. It's been a while since I've needed to "Author" a new tube Style.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

lesmfunk wrote:

I don't want the tube to go to the moon and back (Autoroute creates 5 segments. I need only 3.) 

You can hit the Spacebar to cyle through possible auto-routes.  Of course if one of these isn't what you are after - you will have to manually route.  But try the Spacebar trick first.

Oh wait, I was thinking pipe, not tube.  Not sure that would work with tube route.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
lesmfunk

Thank-you everyone,

I think I got the hang of it now. I allow the autoroute to do its thing and then I found the Convert to Sketch tool which allows me to manually delete the segments I don't want and constrain the sketch as desired.

I think the error in the picture is due to the lack of bends at the transition points (I just noticed the bend tool as well).

The tutorials could be a little more detailed for the bent tube feature of T&P.

Next challenge is the flared ends...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report