Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube frame with connectors.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
toger
2307 Views, 17 Replies

Tube frame with connectors.

What is the best way to draw pipe frame using "KEE KLAMP" connectors?

Pipe and tube or frame generator?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
cbenner
in reply to: toger
Message 3 of 18
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

This is what they look like.

klee.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 18
toger
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Chris

This is typically what I want to build.

Pipe Frame.jpg

Message 5 of 18
cbenner

I think for something like this, I (personally) would use tube & pipe.  I would model, author and publish those connectors as if they were pipe fittings (elbows or tees etc).  Then you could set up tube & pipe styles that used those "fittings", and build your frames using pipe routes.  My opinion.  I think it would be difficult to use FG and then have to work in all of the connectors around your end treatments using assembly constraints.

The connectors with a 90, plus the down leg might be a challenge.... but I think it would work.

Message 6 of 18
Cadmanto

This is a catch 22.  I am leaning more towards respectively disagreeing with Chris only for the simple fact that in frame generator you can have a skeleton sketch that is fairly easy to manipulate.  That alone is the reason I would think to use FG.

Curious, is this pertaining to your other thread that I responded to?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-General/Tube-frame-with-tube-connectors/td-p/4508623

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 18
cbenner

Scott, I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am curious as to how you would work in the connectors?  I'm having a hard time picturing that in my head using FG.  I use both all the time, but I've never done a frame that wasn't welded, so maybe you have some insight I don't. 

Message 8 of 18
Cadmanto

Chris,

Seeing the FG is an assembly, what I am thinking is you have your one sketch that would be used to place the frame members, and a second sketch (which could look very similar to frame sketch) that would be used to place the connectors.  One would overlay the other.  Plus, once you have the frame sketch created, you do a file save as copy to create the second one for the connectors.  Then parameters can be used to link the two sketches together so if a dimension changes on the frame sketch it would automatically update the connector sketch.

This might look like a lot of work, but once setup I think it could run pretty slick.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 18
toger

Scott, you obviously have experience and knowledge with Inventor than stars in the sky.

Me on the other hand is still a novice and wont dare going down your route as I have no idea of how you will even do something like that.

The idea Chris has sounds doable if I can just get the rigid route thing figured out.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Message 10 of 18
cbenner

But how would you terminate the tubes at the correct depth inside the connectors?

Sounds like you've been doing some top down design.  😉 

I haven't toyed with that at all, we're strictly a floor up shop here.

Message 11 of 18
Cadmanto

That is a lot of stars!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Thank you though.  It will come in time.  We all started somewhere and grew.

Just remember that there are plenty of tutorials out there to instruct you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 18
Cadmanto

Yeah, I have done top down several times.

That is how this would be done, and the terminations of the ends would be done in the sketch at the specific distance required by the connector.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 18
cbenner

Message 14 of 18
Cadmanto

Hey Chris, if you can bring my head out of the sand with tube and pipe, surely you can do the same with FG.

After all, the air in the sand has to be pretty stail!!!  Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 18
cbenner
Message 16 of 18
Curtis_Waguespack

@toger wrote:

Hi Chris

This is typically what I want to build.

Pipe Frame.jpg

Hi toger,

Just a quick reply to bring your attention to the fact that you can use a 3D solid as the basis of your Frame, in case you've not seen that before, see this link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2013/08/use-3d-solid-edges-for-frame-generator.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 17 of 18
Cadmanto

Now that's impressive looking!!!

That looks a lot like what our other department creates.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 18 of 18
cbenner
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report