Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tube and pipe, route not perp to edge

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
signmeup
417 Views, 4 Replies

tube and pipe, route not perp to edge

I get this error connecting a route to an authored part. I have had it before and not found a way to fix it. I can recreate the route attachment to the part and it is fine for a while, then the error reappears. I am not using a circular edge reference. It is just the connection to the part where everything is defined around origin geometry.

not perpendicular.png

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: signmeup

It's difficult to tell what's happening from your picture.  The rule on T&P though, is that the first segment of your route needs to be perpendicular to a circular reference, so that the system can generate a pipe segment correctly.  Generally this is the connection point of a fitting, or flange on a piece of equipment or something similar.  Would it be possible to post some files that you are working with so I can try to see what is causing the behavior?  Even a small dummy assembly that is showing the same problem, so you don't have to post anything proprietary.  At the very least, the fitting that you have authored which is giving you the problem.

AutoCAD 2013; AuoCAD Electrical 2013; IV 2013 Professional: Tube and Pipe, Frame Generator, Content Center; Vault Professional 2013: Client, ECO

Message 3 of 5
signmeup
in reply to: cbenner

It's just a dummy part so there's no problem posting it. I think this has only happened to me with "tubing with bends" styles, but I can't be sure. Certainly that is the case in this instance. I think it's more to do with the internal workings of Inventor. The tube and pipe sketches can do weird things; for instance, I've had a green sketch turn black when I've deleted a constraint. It seems to be happy when I create the pipe route initially but then it breaks later. I've frigged it for the moment by not connecting the pipe to the ends of this part.

Thanks for your help. I love tube and pipe. But it can be frustrating.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: signmeup

One very important thing I have learned about T&P... NEVER,... EVER... use the Auto-route.  If you are routing a pipeline, and it gives you an auto route... right click on that sucker fast, and select Convert to Sketch.  The proceed to delete or add dimensions and constraints, as needed, to lock down your sketches.  Auto Routes will fail if you look at them cross-eyed.  The system makes way too many assumptions about your design intent, and is almost always wrong... causing your route sketch to fail miserably.  Not sure if this is what happened to you, but I thought I'd share that bit of wisdom from 4 years of T&P use on a daily basis. 

I like to use the Include Geometry coupled with geometric constraints wherever possible.  And I always try to leave at least one leg of my route undimensioned (while still constrained to geometry).  This will allow your route more flexibility if you make changes later.Not sure if this is what happened to you, but I thought I'd share that bit of wisdom from 4 years of T&P use on a daily basis.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help.

Message 5 of 5
signmeup
in reply to: cbenner

Ok, this route is not an autoroute.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report