Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube and Pipe Errors

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Cadmanto
1211 Views, 20 Replies

Tube and Pipe Errors

I inherited this assembly from another user.  In making some dimensional changes the pipe runs have now errored.

Not having ever taken any training courses in T&P, my knowledge is just based on simple straight forward runs.

This on the other hand is bit more complicated.  As you can see from the image I have this one run that has errors.

My question is with the violation, is there anyway to pinpoint exacty what the violating member is?

TP.JPG

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional
Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU 3.47 GHz
12.0 GB Memory, 64 bit OS

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
mpatchus
in reply to: Cadmanto

Are you using the same T&P Styles as the person who created these runs?

If not, you minimum pipe lengths may be larger than what was originally created, thus causing the errors.

Easiest way to fix this may be to simply delete a leg of the run and reconnect the end points with a new route.

Check your minimum pipe lengths for the style and also check the bend radius.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 21
Cadmanto
in reply to: mpatchus

Hi Mike,

I am definately not using the same T & P styles as the other user.  Infact they are in a different department.

What I have done to this point is delete the run and am in the process of rerouting it.  I am hoping this will give me good results.  Kind of based off of what you are suggesting.  I just wish that the runs when it comes to these errors will highlight or point out exactly which leg of the run is in violation.

I have now gotten to the point where the run is recreated and back the way it should be, sort of.  They inserted outside components into the run that I am now trying to figure out how they constrained them to the run so I can get them positioned accordingly.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 21
cbenner

Scott,... what do oyu mean they inserted outside components into a pipe run?  If it's in a pipe run, it had to have been authored as a pipe fitting of some sort.  Can you show a screen shot of this issue?

Welcome to the world of T&P by the way!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!  Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 21
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I was hoping you would have jumped into this discussion.  I know you just looove T & P.

Yes, I am having a blast here!!!  Smiley Sad  Especially when it is someone else's model to start. (can you sense the sarcasm?)

Looking at this now, I said outside parts thinking these were part models that were generated by the user, but the symbology in the browser makes me think they might be CC parts.  Anyway, working on trying to get them constrained into the adjacent pipe run.

TP.JPG

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 21
mpatchus

For what its worth...

Our workflow is to place all of our "major" fittings outside of the T&P environment and constrain them in the position we desire.  We then create our routes from fitting to fitting.  We still let our T&P styles insert couplings and elbows as needed.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 21
Cadmanto
in reply to: mpatchus

That is definately an option.  I am trying very hard to keep some integrity of this model and the way it was done.

I am struggling in trying to get these two components constrained to the pipe.  I can make them both concentric to the pipe, but get issues when trying to do a distance mate or rotational constraint.  I keeps erroring and not allowing it.

Weird!!!  I am thinking I might just have to take your suggestion and constraint these parts then do the run.

What I did end up doing was along the lines of what you said, I placed these components at the correct location such that the pipe run looks to be going through these fittings.  When in fact, they are independant of each other when it comes to being constrained.  Having spent hours trying to figure out another way this at least gives me conceptually what I need.  I am not at all happy with the methodology of how it was done and I am sure in large part there are two factors involved here.  First, my ignorance in lack of knowledge when it comes to T & P and second, the ineffieciancies of the software to accomodate.  Not sure at this point which one of these takes precidance, but for now I at least have an out.

Thank you for the responses.  Let me know if you have anymore thoughts or suggestions.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 21
cbenner

Scott.  These parts are T&P parts from the look.  I would say they were originally placed inline with the run, but when you modified the route, they got dropped out.

There is no way to "constrain" those back in,... but hold on, there is a solution.  Edit the run, pick on one of those floating fittings and select "Place Fitting"....

place.JPG

This will bring in another instance of that fitting which CAN be placed back into the line, wherever you want it to go.  Then you can just delete the floating one.  Do NOT use copy and paste... ever, in T&P.  That will cause headaches you've never even dreamed of!

Message 9 of 21
Cadmanto

Thanks Chris.  This looks to be what I was trully looking for.  I have secured the run I showed images of, but will try this on the next run.  Please tell me this is not functionality that is not available in 2012.

Don't worry about the copy/paste.  I wont go there!!!  I have enough headaches as it is right now.  Smiley Sad

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 21
cbenner

It should be available.  You can also go the log way round by placing the fitting from the CC.  But if it's right there on the screen in front of you, this is usually a shortcut.

Get your butt up to 2013 man!  Skip 2014.... I have yet to see someone post about how much they love it!

Message 11 of 21
Cadmanto

Yeah, I with you.  I haven't see too much favorable with 2014 as well.

Last time I talked to IT about upgrading they said it was not a high priority.  Ugh!!! Smiley Mad

I will ask again and see if this has changed.  Not holding my breath though.

I do have 2013 loaded at home, but that is not where I do the majority of my work.

I will let you know how I make out with the next pipe run.  It is never easy working on someone elses models.

You know as well as I do, No one models the same way.  I have spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what they did over what should be simple changes.  Smiley Sad

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 21
Cadmanto

Chris,

I was able to successfully able to place compoents as per your instructions.  It went fine except that I found it interesting that it did not allow you to select from the CC.  I had to find CC parts on my local in order to load them.

Am I missing something or is this another blitch with T & P?

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 21
cbenner

Scott,

The method I showed you earlier only works if that particular fitting is on the screen somewhere already.  Otherwise, right next to it... or close by (I don't have IV open at the moment) is the "Place" button.  This one takes you directly to the CC.

Message 14 of 21
Cadmanto

Found it.  Thanks Chris.  I am exploring a whole new world right now in T & P.

Thanks for your help.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 21
Cadmanto

Yeah, thanks.

Now I have another issue (now there's a surprise!!!).  I downloaded a part from a site and I need to include it in my run.

How do you convert it so the pipe run reads it?  I get this error.

TP.JPG

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 17 of 21
cbenner

It has to be authored and published as a tube & pipe fitting. 

Manage tab....

auth.JPG

Pretty straight forward, select a type at the top.  If you want to put this in a custom folder in the CC, choose "Other" as the type.  This works for things like valves or instruments etc.  For basic fittings, use the default types (elbows, tees etc).  Set the end type for connection one and either type in the size, or if it is an ipart, grab whatever parameter controls the size.  Set the connection point and select a circular reference for the axis... they can be the same circular face or edge... make sure the axis is going the right way... outward.  Repeat for the next connection(s).  Set the end treatment for each one.  When you've got it all set up the ok button will light up.  That's to author it.  Then it needs to be published to the CC... have you ever published parts?

Message 18 of 21
Cadmanto

Thank you.  Yeah, I have published parts before.  I have just never gotten this deep into T & P before.  Prior to today, I did hosing which didn't require fittings and components in the run.  I am actually finding this interesting, because I love to learn!!!

I am not thinking I want to publish this part to the CC.  I will find another way to constrain it for now.

Time is of the essence you know!!  Smiley Wink

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 20 of 21
Cadmanto

Thanks Chris for your help .  I will.

As I start this day one always wonders what they will encounter.  Smiley Happy

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report