Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube & Pipe

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
James__S
330 Views, 4 Replies

Tube & Pipe

Hi

I am about to learn the Tube & Pipe module.I like the model in the link below.Do you create all the Tanks and Motors etc..etc..from scratch (.ipt) and then place these as needed in the assembly followed by Tube & Pipe runs?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/friday-pictures-11-14-14/td-p/5403845

Thanks

James

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: James__S

Hello...

Just a word of advice with T&P... start small.  Smiley Very Happy

We structure something like this very carefully.  Three basic levels of the assembly.  On the bottom level, created as it's own assembly, is the frame.  We do this with Frame generator.  Next we build the equipment layout assembly, and the first component placed into this is the frame assembly.  Most of our pumps, motors, tanks, heat exchangers etc are modeled from scratch... though some are downloads form the manufacturer's websites (not enough of them!).  Since we are not manufacturing these things, we care mainly about overall dimensions being correct, and less about appearance.  I admit I try to make them look at least close to the real thing when I have time.  Pumps are especially difficult since those manufacturers don't give you a lot of dimensions to work from.  I think they're afraid you might build your own pumps.  Smiley Frustrated

So then the top level assembly is the overall assembly, and the first placed item there is the Equipment assembly.  (this is definitely bottom up modeling, but it works best for us).  In the top level assembly is where I start running my pipe runs.  I tend to break those up into logical and manageable segments, based on the project P&ID's.  

In the case of the model shown in that thread, each of the 4 framed skids you see is modelled as it's own top level piping assembly and then those were assembled into a top-top level showing the entire project.  the inter skid connections are the hardest, they take some trial and error to line up just right.  But that's just how I decided to structure this project.

Don't dive into T&P blindly.  Read up on it in the Inventor help section, take the tutorials, if you're coming to AU this year I am teaching a class on getting started, and there is also a hands on lab taught by someone else.  There are also lots of videos on YouTube and a bunch of blogs that give advice and tips (mine included... see my signature).  T&P takes a lot of setup before hand, and has a decent learning curve.  I don't want to discourage you at all, and I'm here to help whenever I can.  I just want to advise you to go slow and give yourself time to learn it.

Message 3 of 5
James__S
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris

Much appreciated for the advice

Your model looks great

James

Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: James__S

Glad to help James, I try to always watch for T&P questions in here.  There are several other gurus who can help as well or even better so ask away!

That model is one of the biggest I've ever worked on..... another 6 months it might even be done!  Smiley LOL

I can't wait to see it being built in the shop... hope it fits!

Message 5 of 5
salariua
in reply to: cbenner

STOP hiding around. The guy had a simple request, give us the drawing for your moonshine distillery.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report