Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube & Pipe: Remove Style from route?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
josh
472 Views, 10 Replies

Tube & Pipe: Remove Style from route?

Is there a way you can remove a style from a route? if i edit the run and delete the items on the route it deletes the sketch line with it. i want to keep the 3D sketch geometry but just clear the parts off it. is there a way to do it?

for the record i don't want to change the style i just want to ged rid of it. end of story.

thanks in advance for the help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product design suite ultimate
Complete 3D Concepts
 photo Autodesk_Inventor_2015_Certified_Professional_Badge_zpsf8iygufo.gif
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: josh

Not the way you want, I guess you could edit your Family Table and create a member with an extremely small diameter. Then create a Style that uses this size for it's Style. You should be able to create a run with a small size that will be close to the size of the run sketch line. You also then have the ability within the Style environment to change the color to have "runs" other than black.

Good time to plug my IM100025 "How to be a Hoser" Flexible Tube & Pipe at AU2015 in one month.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
salariua

Hi Josh,

Yes there is. It’s on my to do list and I got half way up writing a blog for this but I haven’t tested it fully and so there might be issues and limitations I am not aware of.

The solution is simpler than you think: Demote/Promote but there is a catch.

Method 1:

Select them in your browser and drag them outside T&P. Then step above T&P asm and demote them. You can’t just delete them there you still need to demote them to a temp assembly which can then be deleted.

Method 2:

That’s where I stopped with the blog; this only works in special cases couldn’t identify when but if method 1 doesn’t work try this: Open the T&P assembly on its own, from your assembly or straight with open command. Double click the Run to edit it in place and then select the fittings. You can window select left to right to miss the route or just use the browser and SHIFT select them all nicely positioned under your route. Then use demote as in method 1 and get them to a temporary asm that you can now delete. This will ONLY WORK if you open the T&P separately, it will not work if you open the RUN or if you try and edit the RUN from the main assembly (the one containing the T&P asm).

If demote is not working you can always drag them just like in method 1 above all the runs and demote them there.

Limitations:

The route cannot be populated again but there’s a trick here as well (HIGH FIVE !). If you need to populate the route again you can copy paste it and then use Make Adaptive on the new copy to create a new, ready to populate route. You will lose any manually placed fittings which will not be added with the populate route command.

I am 90% up on writing a blog on how to constrain them because you won’t be able to select the Route origin planes and there’s a trick here as well.

P.S.: Shame my class with Chris Benner @cbenner on “Advanced T&P Techniques” got turned down. We have a tonne of tricks, tips, and resources to share. We have the knowledge just don’t know what you guys need to know, what you are struggling with most.

151106-01.gif

Good Luck.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 4 of 11
salariua

Of course a different method might be to just change lines to sketch only which will remove the fittings and pipe segments altogether but for now it's been broken by ADESK. On purpose or not I can't tell.

Here's how to:

http://blog.ads-sol.com/2015/08/tp-design-variation.html

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 5 of 11
salariua
in reply to: salariua

Sorry for detouring the post but maybe @dan_szymanski can look at this and tell us why the sketch commands are not active anymore.

We used to be able to change a route from normal to construction lines and that would update the fittings and segments on the route like here:

http://blog.ads-sol.com/2015/08/tp-design-variation.html

Can't tell when this went wrong but now I am on Build: 223, Release: 2015 SP2 Update 2 and it's now working, It used to work on previos versions of 2015, some update has blocked this.

Thanks.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 6 of 11
Mark.Lancaster

@salariua

I though you couldn't demote tube & pipe components since the routed system module is installed and the assembly is controlled by those rules.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 11
salariua
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster - Couldn't or Not Recommended?

I am a freak, working in weird ways.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 8 of 11
dan_szymanski

Hi Adrian,

We will take a look to verify your concerns.  Thanks for reporting this.

Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11
josh
in reply to: dan_szymanski

thanks very much for all the input guys. it is nice to know i am not normally to far of the path when looking for solutions to this stuff. i have noticed that the 3D sketch commands are often greyed out when working on routes and you sometimes need to do some route lines then undo one line to get them to come back to life again. is this normal behaviour? i will take a screen recording next time it does it if it helps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product design suite ultimate
Complete 3D Concepts
 photo Autodesk_Inventor_2015_Certified_Professional_Badge_zpsf8iygufo.gif
Message 10 of 11
Yijiang.Cai

I also tried this workflow to change the sketch line from normal to construction, but construction command does not work. I also tried this workflow on multiple releases, e.g. 2015, 2014...even 2010, and it does not work too. But it looks fine in the video when looking into the blog.

Could you let us know what release you are using in the video? And it will be better if the dataset can be provided.

Based on the requirement here, the route path is expected to be reused. But the properties related to T&P  in the sketch path can’t be removed from UI manually, and the sketch geometries are not the common 3D sketch, and can’t be edited or reused in another route.

We have ever provided the VBA macro to export the route path as common 3D sketch, which can be reused in downstream workflow.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/convert-tp-route-to-normal-part/m-p/570311...

Hope it helpful for you!

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 11 of 11
salariua
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

Hi Cai,

You are soon to become my best friend along with @cbenner, @dan_szymanski.

A lot of the times it feels like I am going crazy and I invent stuff just to get visitors on my website. I have kept the datasets for each post unaltered and I have just tested and confirm that it's working on an older version of 2015.

Wait.... it seems to be working on the latest version of 2015 and on 2016 too; so it's a glitch I must have found where it didn't work.

I NEED A PROMISSE from you that you will keep and improve on that functionality NOT REMOVE IT. This is actually request 56 an 56 on the idea station:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/tube-and-pipe-overhaul/idi-p/5518269

56 - Allow change construction lines to normal and vice-versa on the fly just like in any regular sketch. This will in fact change what gets populated and what doesn’t based on line type.

57 - Allow construction lines to be created freely as normal lines anywhere I need. At this point you can only create them from existing nodes.

This being said I will start a new post not to detour this one. Give me some time to document the workflow and create the datasets.

P.S.: Thank you for the link and the code to convert routes to normal parts. I think I had a tiny bit of involvement in there too. 😉

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report