Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube & Pipe Question

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dave_deane
715 Views, 9 Replies

Tube & Pipe Question

Using Inv 2008 here.

I have some experience with T&P, but was always with simple runs from point A to B.

I now need to create a branch in a run and I am having problems trying to get the Tee to the correct orientation. I am only able to create it manually but would like to achieve this with the T&P if possible. This way the route would adjust if the connection location is modified (most likely). The short bigger diameter pieces represent the existing lines I am connecting into and are not part of the pipe run. Please see the detail I pasted below

http://screencast.com/t/xWOfoeFOErL

Thanks,

Dave

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: dave_deane

This can be done very easily.

1.  Activate the run that contains the fitting that needs to be replaced.

2.  Click the Place From Content Center command, and select the new fitting.

3.  Select the correct size.

4.  Click on the old fitting and the new fitting will be inserted.

5.  Press the space bar to change to the desired orientation.

Message 3 of 10
dave_deane
in reply to: Anonymous

That works.

I was selecting the fitting first, RMC, "replace from content center". However, It doesn't give you an opportunity to change orientation.

Thank You!,

Dave

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

No problem.  Glad I could help!

Message 5 of 10
cbenner

You can use the "Replace" command as well, but it becomes a 2 step process.  Change the fitting from elbow to tee, then right click on the elbow and select "Change Orientation".  From there you can use the space bar trick to change the way it is pointing.

Thanks John, for pointing out another way of accomplishing this in one step.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

It's always nice to have different options of performing certain tasks.  Especially if it can end up saving you time.  I have been using Inventor for quite awhile now, but I'm always on the look out for ways to speed up my productivity!

Message 7 of 10
dave_deane

Could you please check out this 3 min video and let me know if my workflow is correct?

I am unable to change the color of placed content in a route. The color is indicated in the style and is applied when it is populated but when I exit the route to replace fittings, only the original fitting replacement will assume the color and all additional fittings will not.

Should I be using multiple routes within a specific run?

video:   http://screencast.com/t/RVfYEtX7Tco5

Thanks,

Dave

Message 8 of 10
cbenner

Dave,

I have found that tube and pipe normally only changes the color of those fittings that are defined in the rules of your tube and pipe styles, and placed "automatically" as a result of routing.  Any fittings you place yourself from the CC will not assume the color.  What I have done to work around this, is to right click the sub-assembly in the model tree and select a color for the entire thing.  Then no matter what fittings I place in line, they will assume the color I want.  Our color scheme here is only for the designer's visual reference... blue means water, for example.

I hope someday IV changes this so that anything added to a route, regardless of it's source, asssumes the assigned color.  I don't know about you, but during setup, I spent days upon days assigning colors to tube and pipe styles, only to have this issue.

Message 9 of 10
dave_deane
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

Thanks for the info, that's what I will do. Basically, I only needed colors to differentiate various runs for a presentation on a job quote for a customer.

So the workflow in which I created the route in the demo video above would be considered correct?

Dave

Message 10 of 10
cbenner

Dave,

Bear in mind the only training I've had in this is the Inventor tutorials, but your workflow looks ok to me.  Only thing we do differently is add gaskets and flanges to any equipment on either end of the run, prior to starting any routes.  Not saying this is right or better,... it's just how we approach it.

Tube and Pipe can be a bear sometimes, but I'm finding that the more you work with it and figure out it's idiosycracies (sp?), you'll figure out ways to get around them and force it to do what you need it to do.

Have fun, man!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report