Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tube & pipe moving valves

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
A_Harro
571 Views, 5 Replies

tube & pipe moving valves

Just after a little bit of help with something.

In Tube & Pipe i have popped a valve into my route, it jumped to the pipe and the flanges automatically added which is fantastic. Now i want to move it to another part of the route. Without having to delete the valve and put a new one in, how do i move it? I did try to move the node, but it wouldnt move.

See the picture i have attached (and yes i know the flange size and valve size do not match).

Any help would be appreciated as its the one thing in the Tube&pipe module that realy drives me crazy and i know there has to be a proper way of doing this.

thanks

Anne.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: A_Harro

Anne,

Is the valve contrained or just free floating?

If you have it dimensioned or constrained, you should be able to adjust those and the piping might change.

What version are you running?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Just looked at your picture.... in an instance like this the best thing to do is place a copy of the valve, and then delete the original one.  You can move it within the sement it is in by simply editing the dimension on the route,... but to move it to another leg like this, it's easiest to just place another one, and delete the first.  NOTE:  Never, ever copy and paste fittings in T&P... ever.  Bad things happen.  Trust me.  But.... you can pick the fitting inline, and go to the "Place Fitting" button on the tool bar.  With a fitting highlighted, that button will place the exact same fitting without having to reopen the Content Center... just a bit of a shortcut.

Message 4 of 6
A_Harro

hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, forgot to mention im using inventor 2014 .

When i inserted the Valve i get a node on the pipe sketch and i can dimension to it if i want to. Keeping it in the same straight line isnt a problem, my issue is how to get that node moved to another segment of the pipe as per the picture i attached.

I cant seem to move the valve, or the node on the sketch.

Hope this clarifies what im trying to do.

Anne.

Message 5 of 6
A_Harro
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

Just looked at your picture.... in an instance like this the best thing to do is place a copy of the valve, and then delete the original one.  You can move it within the sement it is in by simply editing the dimension on the route,... but to move it to another leg like this, it's easiest to just place another one, and delete the first.  NOTE:  Never, ever copy and paste fittings in T&P... ever.  Bad things happen.  Trust me.  But.... you can pick the fitting inline, and go to the "Place Fitting" button on the tool bar.  With a fitting highlighted, that button will place the exact same fitting without having to reopen the Content Center... just a bit of a shortcut.

I have been doing it that way, deleting the valve and placing a new one into the new segment of pipe, but if i have a drawing attached, i have to go and renumber, redimension it, which is a pain.  We move heaps of items around on our gas trains until the project managers are happy. It ends up being a huge double handling of the work. Surely we should be able to pick components and moved them without having to delete. 😞

Message 6 of 6
cbenner

@buffs_star wrote:

hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, forgot to mention im using inventor 2014 .

When i inserted the Valve i get a node on the pipe sketch and i can dimension to it if i want to. Keeping it in the same straight line isnt a problem, my issue is how to get that node moved to another segment of the pipe as per the picture i attached.

I cant seem to move the valve, or the node on the sketch.

Hope this clarifies what im trying to do.

Anne.

As I mentioned above, you can move the valve within a straight segment of pipe, but not around corners.  I personally think that would be an AWESOME enhancement, but right now that just isn't possible.   It does cause a lot of changes to be made to the drawings, yes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report