Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to use constraints on a model of a human hand

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
neeboy74
280 Views, 3 Replies

trying to use constraints on a model of a human hand

I am trying to modify a figure that was made in Inventor; I want to be able to move the limbs around and not end up with any un-natural looking poses.  I'm starting with the hand/fingers, and not having much luck.  It should be as simple as picking the axes of the different digits of the finger, and telling Inventor to use angular constraints, but I still keep getting painful-looking bends.  Sometimes it appears to work, but by dragging the digits too far on the screen, then blow past the defined constraints.

Is what I'm looking to do not really going to work here?  I can't do this with Bones in MAX; I need to be able to re-size this figure parametrically, and that can't be done in MAX where everything is a mesh.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: neeboy74

What version of Inventor are you using?

In later versions you can place constraint limits.

Not sure how much angle constraints I would use.

I would probably have some points and axis, planes  that I would hide visibility.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
IS200
in reply to: neeboy74

Do a google search for iMan or iMike. I can't remember where I originally got him from but he's a fully parametric man with flexible joints. You may be able to learn something by analyzing his constraints. I believe there's even an iMandy around somewhere too!

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: IS200

I don't think iMike is exaclty what the OP is trying to do.

I think the problem description is to limit lifelike motion on joints.

In any case - iMike and iJill live at this address http://www.cbliss.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report