Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to test for clash detection but struggling to constrain object

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
stephengibson76
323 Views, 7 Replies

trying to test for clash detection but struggling to constrain object

Can someone take a look at this 2010 assembly, 2 parts. first part is an extruded elipse 2nd part is a swept elipse tube. what i want to do is basically prove that the exrtruded part could or could not be pulled thru the tube in real life. just a few screen grabs of it intersecting would be enough to prove it doesnt but i cant get it constrained to into different positions.

i tried contact set but my current computer is a dog and keeps crashing. any suggestions of how to do this would be really helpful. this is only a mock up model of what were trying to do but it is pretty close, i am after the methodology of how to do it.

my next choice is to go to 3d autocad and move/rotate it manually. im pretty sure i wont be allowed to use addins to do this unless the functionallity is here in 2010?
Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Would apretiate some ideas
Stephen Gibson

Message 3 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: stephengibson76

You could "rectangular" pattern some points and constrain. Attached is a limited example but this assumes follow the centerline while in fact the part can offset bouncing from side to side. Do you have access to Inventor Professional (Dynamic Simulation)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Thanks JD, I do have access to dynamic simulation but limited experience with it. Placing the part as you suggested is ok but then i have to manually rotate it by eye to suit the tube. it would be good to see how it 'rattles' as it goes thru the tube also.
Stephen Gibson

Message 5 of 8

i think this is too hard for anybody but i will give it a try. What i want is the space envelope for the eliptical vessel passing thru the tube, (along the 3d spline)

this seems near on imposible to do with inventor. the space envelope will breath depending on the curviture of the 3dspline and the rotation of the vessel. to simplify slightly i would like to keep one of the vessels axis perpendicular to a plane, (it doesnt matter which one, im just looking for the technique)

if anyone can do this i would be very grateful, 4 days on it so far with no results
Stephen Gibson

Message 6 of 8

oh yeah, i will paypal over the cost of a pint to anyone who gives me the answer i need. (unless you live in iceland where alcohol costs more than gold)

if you put an elipse on the end of the 3d sketch and extrude it, then rectangular pattern it in the direction of the 3dsketch you will see an armadillo back that i want to loft thru and make smooth Edited by: stephengibson76@hotmail.com on Aug 18, 2009 4:27 PM
Stephen Gibson

Message 7 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: stephengibson76

Here's where I've gotten so far. I put a slit in the side of your tube for access to drag it using contact sets, but I think it's almost bound up. I show .003 mm clearance at this point to the outer end of the "plug".

My computer is also a dog, but at least it doesn't crash. Dragging to this point has been a very tedious task, but in all fairness, it's a really tough mathematical problem, too. If it won't move, try picking a different point on the plug, or changing your viewpoint, and it will usually move somehow. But the closer it has gotten to binding, the more difficult to drag, so this isn't exactly an elegant solution.

Sam
HP Compaq DC7100CMT
Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
2 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 1400, driver 8172, DX3D mode
Windows XP (32-bit)
Inventor Suite 2010 RTM
Message 8 of 8

Thanks sam,

I am concentrating more on the space envelope now. attached is an image showing how the trolley passed round the sketch but i need to turn the outside extremes into a nice smooth space envelope
Stephen Gibson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report