Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to show draft on face

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
karthur1
481 Views, 6 Replies

Trying to show draft on face

Trying to add draft to an area on this part.  Not sure exactly how to get the results I'm looking for. Tried "Draft" command and that didnt work at all.  Tried to do a sweep.  Its close, but not exacly what I want.

I am trying to get draft applied on this entire face at a given angle (say 5°).  The Sweep feature in the part is where I attempted it, but you can see below the Ø6in section, all of the face does not have the draft on it.

It just seems like there should be an easier way. I just dont do drafts very often.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: karthur1

How about using the taper feature within the extrude command?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Cadmanto

That was actually the first thing I tried. It wasnt even close to what I wanted.  I figured it was because of the shape of the part.

Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto

Figured I would throw it out there.  I can't open your part because I am still on 2012, but looking at the image in my thumb nail it looks like a form of a tie rod.  Did you create this as all one feature? or individual.

I see the sketch lines in the image and I assume that is where you are having these issues.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Cadmanto

Here prolly a larger pic to look at.  The rib on the bottom is where I trying to put the draft.

Message 6 of 7
jakefowler

Hi karthur1,

Many thanks for posting this modelling issue!

I think there are a few ways you can achieve the desired angle on these faces (although the result may differ slightly depending on the method you use). An easy way to modify your existing model (i.e. with the Sweep) to give a 'cleaner' result is to use the 'Delete Face' tool with 'Heal' enabled, which will remove unwanted faces and re-intersect the surrounding geometry to tidy-up the model. Find this result in the attached as "Draft sample_DeleteFace.ipt".

I was able to use the Draft tool on these faces, but it's possible that the result returned by Draft is not what you are after for this operation. The Draft tool requires a Pull Direction (i.e. the direction in which the mould for the part would be pulled-apart), and all angles are calculated with respect to that Pull Direction. Since it appears you want a constant taper angle to flow around the bend of this part, you effectively want to taper with respect to a 'dynamic' pull direction, which is not current possible with the Draft tool. I have attached an example tapered with the Draft tool ("Draft sample_Draft.ipt"), where the Pull Direction is based on the start and end points of the 'radial' section of your model: but if you interrogate the model with the Measure tools, you will see that the angle is not a constant value along the entire length of the part with respect to the cross-section (it is only constant with respect to the specified Pull Direction).

If neither of these solutions offers the shape you desire, let me know some further details of the problem and I'll try to offer a suggestion that better matches your requirements.

Hope this helps!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 7 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: jakefowler

Many thanks... the delete face works for me.  I always forget about that command.  In my actual part, I was having trouble applying some fillets also.  After I used the delete face command, the fillets work much better now.

Thanks Again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report