Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to hide edges in an .idw need some help

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
griffcl
363 Views, 2 Replies

Trying to hide edges in an .idw need some help

Alright so here is what I got. I have an .stl file that I imported, mesh enabled, and so forth. I am trying to get the file into an .idw with just just a shaded look, i.e. no edges. Because of all the the poly edges my model winds up looking like a pile of hair, instead of a grey shaded image. I have tried with both solids and composites, and am getting the same result.

The reason I am doing this is to place a view in an installation manual. Now, I have been trying to tell my boss that it would be way beeping easier to just do a screenshot and place the .pdf into the idw. But he is being a real stickler about this.

Now I am not opposed of placing a nice clean shaded model into the .idw. I have just spent the past two days trying to exhaust every option. So please, Autodesk community, please tell me this is not possible/a complete waste of my time, or help me figure it out!

Scincerely,

Slightly peeved Designer

P.S. I cannot attach the file it is 7MB hit me up and I will send it.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: griffcl

You could try:
- deriving the part into a new ipt and using that in your idw
- creating a shrinkwrap substitute and " "
- remodeling the object using linked parameters and " "

- convince your boss through argumentation that his thought process is irrational

a. It's an installation manual

b. Actual Part geometry is not critical 

c. ???

d. screenshot is fine.

- ...tell your boss "it's impossible" as a way of avoiding directly confronting his irrational thought process

These are all things i would try.

Message 3 of 3
griffcl
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the hints! I prviously tried a derived, and a shrinkwarp, no help. But I think I have it worked out.

Before placing the view int the .idw, go to Style editor, select a layer and turn off visability on "visibale installation sheet". Place view and make certain the remove hidden lines box highlighted, and the shaded box highlighted. 

Ta-Da it works. It still takes a bit longer than just inserting a .pdf, but oh well I wouldn't ge paid if it was fun.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report