Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to convert STP file to Parasolid Text file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
KevinPinks7697
2649 Views, 6 Replies

Trying to convert STP file to Parasolid Text file

Hello I am having difficulty converting a STP file (made in SW) to a Parasolid Text file for a customer. I was going to post the model to Customer Files, but for some reason I cannot post on there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The file size is roughly 21MB

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi KevinPinks7697,

Thanks for your report !

If my understanding is correct, you workflow is open the STP file (generated from Solidworks) in Inventor -> export it to Parasolid Text format.

So what's the problem ? Is parasolid text file not generated ? or it has errors during converting ? or something else ? Please send your model to me via email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com , we will investigate it.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc. 

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

Try searching the web for a free program called CAD Exchanger. I find that this sometimes works faster and more reliably than Inventor for file conversions.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 7

Hello Kevin, I get an error during the translation. I tried sending the file to you but it is too big in file size (16MB)

Message 5 of 7
KevinPinks7697
in reply to: mrattray

Tried that, still getting an error in the translation file

Message 6 of 7
mrattray

Then that tells us that it's not an Inventor problem, but a problem with the STEP file itself. I'm guessing that there was either something done wrong during the SW > STEP phase, or that the SW file itself is bad, or the two formats just aren't getting along with the geometery. Sometimes certain geometries just don't translate well between certain formats. I suggest you try to get another model from wherever the STEP file originated in the format you require.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 7
AustinLiu

Hi,

sorry for the inconvenience to you.

May you please contact me via email? I can create an FTP account for you to upload the file to us for investigation.

Thanks,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report