Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True value of threaded part surface area automaticaly?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
518 Views, 6 Replies

True value of threaded part surface area automaticaly?

In most cases threaded parts are designed without true surface (just cilynder with texture) thus part surface area is calculated wrong (less than it is i real world)).

I wonder if there any automatic way to get true value of threaded surface which is modeled in traditional (simplified) way?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi! Unfortunately, you need to create the geometry in order to get the surface area. You can either use Coil or Sweep command to do that.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
VdVeek
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Uma, What do you mean by True value of surface area? Do you want to know the extra mass the thread is adding to your model? or something else?

When i first read your post i thought of the extra mass that is missing because the thread is simplified. For an internal thread, Inventor is using the minimal minor diameter. If you use the minimal pitch diameter the average mass for the thread hole will be much better. I wrote an iLogic Rule that creates an user parameter with the corrected mass. The rule is for a simple thru threaded hole in a part with a thichkness d0 of 10mm.

You didn't tell which version you are using of Inventor, but i created this in 2012 hope you can have a look at the attached part.

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 4 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: VdVeek

I was asking about surface area but you are right mass of part with
simplified thread modeled is also calculated wrong.

Imagine the gold plated part with thread.

Somebody should calculate the surface as close to real as possible.

Of course modeling thread without simplifications would be the
workaround but this means extensive load on hardware while working with
assy with part as component....

PS: I'm using Inv12 and pretty sure there were no improvements made in
latter releases.
Message 5 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

You could create the part as an iPart. You would have two iPart members; one with modeled threads and one with simplified threads. This way you can get accurate physical properties of the model, but still use a simplified representation in your assemblies and drawings.
Also, you should look on the app exchange site for the free thread modeler add-in. This will automate the construction of the thread features for you.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
...Also, you should look on the app exchange site for the free thread modeler add-in. This will automate the construction of the thread features for you.

Has this app been fixed? Last time I checked I thought it only did British Whitworth threadforms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

I thought I had used it in the past for ANSI threads (I certainly didn't use it for Whitworth!), but I can't seem to get it to work for me now.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums