Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles with splines

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
GavinReynolds2021
1929 Views, 7 Replies

Troubles with splines

Hello,

I have run into something new that has caused me to loose what little hair I have left. I am drawing what essentially looks like a wing rib and after getting the basic shape I found out that I am unable to fillet a spline to a simple line...which is annoying. I then drew the voids inside the shape which were annoying because i couldnt fillet to the offset spline. At some point in this process I had a closed loop which would extrude but in messing around trying to fillet the small end of it I lost something either in constraints or loop closure. I now cannot select the body of the part for extrusion. I have used the loop doctor which identifies several problems I have attempted to fix but when I ask it to close the loop I get an error saying it failed to create the incident constraint and that some points lie of the same curve. I am stuck. Any help would be appreciated. This is the first time I have has to use more than a simple spline and I am not sure what I have fouled up.

Thanks for any advice

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

First thing I notice is that you are missing a lot of dimensions and your sketch is not constrained to the origin (floating in space) which makes it difficult to determine your design intent.

Then I noticed that in some locations you used Splines where it would seem to make more sense to use Arcs.

And then I saw overlapping constrained endpoint splines with a tiny line?

Snip.PNG

I also saw lines that appeared to be vertical but upon dimensioning - showed slight angles.
Inventor should automatically be applying Vertical Constraints (and others) while you are sketching.

I recommend that you put this project aside for a couple of hours and go through these.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

As Jeffrey mentioned, there's lots of unnecessary geometry.

I've cleaned it up a bit.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Hi! There is indeed something not right here. There are gaps between the upper spline and the vertical lines. It seems like the fit points are detached from the spline, which does not make sense to me. I delete the constraints and add the coincident constraints back. Then run it through Sketch Doctor when editing the sketch. After that, the profile becomes healthy again. Do you know how to reproduce the detached fit points?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the useful links They helped a lot with understanding the problem

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for that, your approach with the fillets makes a pile of sense now that I have seen it. I am really looking forward to getting some training in the next few weeks. Its tough going when I have no one else here to collaborate with. I really appreciate you taking the time to clean it up
Message 7 of 8

Thanks to you all for taking the time to look at this problem. As always I have learned more than I bargained for but I appreciate the input and different approaches.

Message 8 of 8

@GavinReynolds2021 wrote:
 I am really looking forward to getting some training in the next few weeks.

You will get more out of the training if you go through the tutorials first.
You might even pick up some tips and tricks that the trainer doesn't know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report