Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with surfaces

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nelson674
409 Views, 6 Replies

Trouble with surfaces

I am having trouble making the surfaces on this part. It has some complex curves that I do not know how to model.

I have sketched a wire frame of the part so someone can hopefully understand what it is supposed to look like. I have also attached a photo of the part modeled in foam. There are some minor features missing on the wireframe file but I am  most concerned with the complex curved surfaces.

rearblock.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: nelson674

First thing I noticed is that Sketch1 is not constrained - yet all of the dimensions are perfect.

How is this done?

Are you using AutoCAD as your sketcher?

Why not have dimensions so that you can use them to control the model?

Isn't it extra work to NOT have the dimensions?

In the process of constraining your sketch I then noticed that there is a missing coincident constraint.

You might read this document before moving on with the design http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

- constraining your sketches is particularly important for curvy stuff.

Sketch1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
nelson674
in reply to: JDMather

I guess I should say that I have little to no formal training with Inventor.

"How is this done?"

I dimension all of my sketches and once I get them just how I want them, I delete all the dimensions to make the sketch more pleasing to look at. Im sure there must be a way to turn the visability off on them rather than deleting them but I havent really looked into that. This method, as odd as it probably seems, has not appeared to cause me too much trouble for what I have been using the software for.

"Are you using AutoCAD as your sketcher?"

This wireframe was created in Inventor only.

"Why not have dimensions so that you can use them to control the model?"

I guess this is just the result of me not knowing how to use the software poprerly.

"Isn't it extra work to NOT have the dimensions?"

I think I somewhat explained this already in my above answer. The dimensions were there at one point.

Thank you for the link to that document. I read through it very quickly and there seems to be some good information in there. I will definitly read though that when I have some time. As I mentioned before I have no training with Inventor and have just been exploring and playing around with the program. I am sure I am not doing things "proper" and not even coming close to using the potential power of the sofware.

After much trial and error I was able to produce something that resembels the final part I wanted. I think my methods are very crude however this will work for now. The part has some voids and "slices".

Thanks for your time

Nelson

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@nelson674 wrote:

I dimension all of my sketches and once I get them just how I want them, I delete all the dimensions to make the sketch more pleasing to look at. Im sure there must be a way to turn the visability off on them rather than deleting them 

Nelson

No, no, no - that defeats the purpose of using a parametric modeler - you might as well be using free Inventor Fusion.

Exit sketch then right click on the sketch in the browser and (un)select Dimension Visibility.

Any time you need to change a dimension simpy Edit the sketch or turn dimension visibility back on.

As you get more experience with Inventor you will learn to Right Mouse button everything.

You are doing way too much work - I will try to post a better example in a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

I don't have time to get it perfect, but open this one and pull the red End of Part marker down step-by-step to see how I built it.

This was created in edu version - so delete after you examine my technique.  This should give you some ideas.  If you can't get it perfect - post back and I will try to show a tangency trick for the "fillet" from one side of the mirror to the other.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
nelson674

Hahah, that is about the reaction I expected...

Thanks for the tip with hiding the dimensions! Sometimes there is so much going on its hard to see what you are doing!

Between that link you sent me, playing with the surface tools, and some careful thinking, I was able to create the part nearly perfect (to my eyes).  I would however accept any critiquing you may have as Im sure there may be better ways to go about it.

Thanks again!

Edit:   Ill take a look at that file you sent

Message 7 of 7
nelson674

wow.

You made that look incredibly easy and simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums