Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with example in Mastering Inventor 2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
383 Views, 6 Replies

Trouble with example in Mastering Inventor 2012

Hello, all, I've posted this at CADTutor and gotten the responses that this doesn't actually work. This is an example from Mastering Inventor 2012, page 177 where it is shown that if you select to do a Fillet on a Hole Feature it will fillet both ends of the hole through a solid. Reading the text and looking at the image in the book, it would appear that one could select a Hole Feature to perform a fillet on and it will do the fillet on both ends but I cannot get this to happen. Either a function of the program changed from the author's version at the time of writing (perhaps a Beta or RC release different from my installation of Inventor 2012 with SP2), or I'm just not reading and understanding this correctly. I'm attaching a photo of the page in question. I'd like to know if this actually does work (or did work in a previous version) or, as mentioned above, if I'm not understanding something correctly. Thank you. --HC
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Holly,

Welcome to the forum.

You never attached the photo ot image of the page you were refering to.

The other thought I have is usually the hole feature creates holes at a certain diameter at a certain depth.

Not through holes.  If you are doing a through hole why not just create a through extruded cut and fillet that with one fillet feature.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi HolyB,

I think you might have caught an editing mistake in the book (if this behavior selection change is intentional) or possibly a bug in Inventor. This functionality did work in the past, but it looks like holes have been removed from support of the Feature option for Select Mode of the Fillet tool in your version.

The oldest version I have on this computer is Inventor 2010, but I can confirm that it did work then as shown here. But I'm not certain if this feature regression is intentional or is an oversight on the part of Autodesk. But I will inquire about it to see if someone can provide an answer.

My apologies for any confusion this has caused.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Fillet Select Feature.png

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the reply. I surely thought I had posted the image. I'm not sure what happened but I selected the file for upload but it's been a month so who knows. Sorry for the delay but I moved on to other projects and haven't messed with this stuff since then. Regardless, I'm attempting to upload the image I meant to when I said I would. The reason for using the hole function was merely to follow an example in the book. This is not a real world example and I don't see a time when I would actually fillet a hole; my use of Inventor will be solely personal and it's highly unlikely I would ever design something that I would then send out for manufacturing. However, the feature was listed in the book so I tried to use it, just following the example. However, I will say this, reportedly the hole feature has more detailed information about the hole than simply creating the same visual appearance by doing an extrude cut. I'm just a noob here but I read in the book and have seen it posted elsewhere that the hole feature is the "best practices" way of making a hole and and extrude cut isn't. None of that impacts this though; I'm just following the example in the book. And don't forget I could be wrong or an idiot. Sometimes I'm wrong and sometimes I channel an idiot. 8-) Now, to see if that image will upload.... --HC
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Failed before...
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Another attempt to get the file to upload.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis, thank you for your reply. Folks, this image is basically what you would have seen had I ever been able to get my image to post successfully. Apparently I'm too stupid to upload an image. Regardless, this is what the book shows and it no worky in my install of Inventor. I would like to know why Autodesk removed the functionality...if the removed it on purpose. While trying the example I cannot select the hole in the graphics area but I can hover the mouse over the object browser and the hole feature will highlight as you show in your image here. However, that's all it will do; clicking it will not actually select the hole feature. Thank you again. --HC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report