Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Assembly File from school

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
coburnc
750 Views, 6 Replies

Trouble with Assembly File from school

Hey

I am taking an engineering class at school where we use Inventor. There we use the educational version. I have downloaded the student version for free from Autodesk.

I have a Autodesk 360 account that I have downloaded the parts and assembly to the cloud so I could work on the project from home, but for some reason I am having trouble opening the assembly file. When I try to open the assembly file, I am promped with a resolving problem. From here, I can't choose the assembly file I need to open, because all the options are just .ipt file. So, what I usually do is skip all.

After that happens, This message comes up about the file being created with the educational version and not the student version. When I say okay to open the file, the message comes up a bunch of times until it finally opens. When the file finally opens, it is not the version that is updated or the file that is in my autodesk 360 account; because when I was in school, I updated the file to the one that is on the school computer. The one that opens up is the first file that I uploaded to autodesk 360 where it's not up to date.

I was wondering what I can to to get this file up to date, current version and work well with the student version and the educational version.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: coburnc

You should be able to point Inventor to the correct directory to open the  IPT's when you open the IAM file first. You should create a Project file for use at home that has the correct directory paths for your directory structure (@ home).

You should be following the proper method of working with Inventor. Open Inventor, select the correct Project, then open the file IAM or IPT from within Inventor. The Project File will tell Inventor which directory to use for your main Work directory and any related support library directories.

Any work created, modified or saved with a Student version will produce the "Student Version" banner when the item is placed and printed in a drawing. This is a warning that any models you have imported from a non-student version will be "Student" versions.

Any work done with a student version will produce this banner. This means that a single small IPT created with a Student Version will cause the "Student Version" banner to be displayed/printed on any work done with a commercial version. A 10,000 part IAM with a single part created with a Student Version will cause this to be displayed.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
coburnc
in reply to: blair

What is the difference between the student version banner and the educational version banner, and why do they matter?

Message 4 of 7
blair

Pricing, Student Version is free as long as your school qualifies, the Education Version gets a discount from Autodesk. The only real difference between all versions is the License number. This creates the banner and pop-up on the files.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
coburnc
in reply to: blair

Okay, thanks. My school does qualify for the free student version, that's how I got it. I did manage to get it to work, but the .iam file is behind where I am on the school computer, so I think I will leave that one alone, and just update the other parts to make the train look cool.

I can easily use open the parts in inventor, and update them. Will it work well if I update the parts here, make them look really cool, then put the parts on a flash drive and reassemble the train at school. Or might I have problems again because of the different versions?

Message 6 of 7
blair

Use the IAM file, this tells Inventor which files to use, how they are placed and which constraints are used and their locations.

The Project file tell Inventor where the files are located on your system.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Student or educational version is not a problem for you in your situation.
You will get the warning - but that is intended for commercial version users.

Your real problem is resolving file paths, which should be corrected by using Project (*.ipj) file and not using Windows Explorer to replace files.  If you do use Explorer (copy and paste) you should still be able to Resolve links when opening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report