Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Adaptive Part

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Orbitron
2824 Views, 7 Replies

Trouble with Adaptive Part

Did a quick search, but did not find anything particularly useful.  Using Inventor 2013.

I wanted to make an adaptive representation of an extension spring.  I made the "coil" of the spring using a symmetrical extrusion.  I made the extrusion "adaptive" thinking the extrusion length would then adapt as required.  I created the "loops" using sweeps attached to the ends of the extrusions.  I made no longitudinal constraints/dimensions to the origin, although I do have one radial dimension to the origin.  Otherwise, both loops are constrained/dimensioned to the ends of the extrusion.

I inserted the part into my assembly and set it as "adaptive".  I contrained one end.  I tried to constrain the other end, but the part would not adapt, so it pulled my assembly out of alignment and caused a conflict with another constraint.

What have I done wrong, or is this not possible?  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Orbitron

@Orbitron wrote:

1. ....I made the extrusion "adaptive"

2.  ....I inserted the part into my assembly and set it as "adaptive". 

What have I done wrong, or is this not possible?  Thanks

Of course it is possible, but must be done correctly.

1. this doesn't make sense - adaptivity is a result of creating within assembly from projected references.

2. see #1

I prefer to Animate a Parameter in Inventor Studio rather than use Adaptivity.

This topic has been covered here many many times in the past.

Attach simple assembly and someone will show you both techniques (adaptive and driven parameter) for a spring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Orbitron
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you, but that is not what the HELP text and videos suggest, which is what I was trying to follow.

Is it possible for you to provide a link to one of the more useful examples of previous discussions?  I simply do not have the luxury of spending time reading through hundreds of not-so-useful postings.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
blair

Try here, it only takes about 30 seconds to do the seach on YouTube: for the text string: autodesk inventor adaptive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKX68LjhUo

Do you realize, the majority of the people that are answering the questions to posts such as this are doing it on a volunteer basis out of the kindness of their hart.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Attach your assembly here.

When referencing Help information or other sources of information be sure to provide the direct url.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
snowflake30
in reply to: JDMather

Rather than starting a new thread I'd thought i'd post my query here as this thread seems pretty aligned with what I'm after.

I've produced an assembly of a screwjack using a pos reps and used value overides to define their respective positions. I have come to add a set of bellows to the assembly but would like it to act adaptively given the nature of the bellows i.e. expand and contract like a spring. I can get the bellows to adapt when i drive the constraint that controls the linear distance of my screwjack but when i swicth between pos reps it doesnt update and i get errors. Is there a limitation on the use of overide values in pos reps and adaptivity or am i doing something wrong? I'm not entirely sure I've fully grasped the applaication of pos reps as yet. However my model does do what I currently want it to do.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have attached the offending assembly. You'll notice in there i tried to solve this problem using iparts. But it became a bit unmanagable as i worked up my model structure towards the top level.

I have found my answer in another thread, basically this is a limitation of Pos reps. Limitations of Pos Reps

Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: snowflake30

Hi! This is indeed a technical limitation right now. Design View, Positional Representation, and Level of Detail does not alter component geometry. And, a component can only have one definition at a time. So, you cannot have a drawing view pointing to one shape in one Representation and another drawing view pointing to another shape in another Representation.

However, you could simulate the shape change using Drive Constraint though. In your example, simply right-click on Flush:6 -> Drive -> expand the dialog -> check "Drive Adaptivity" and you will see the cylinder changes length.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
snowflake30
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the quick response. I got the drive constraint to work but, unfortunately for me and the deliverables I generally need to achieve for my client, i have to produce drawings rather just models. Please corrrect me if I'm wrong, is this method only suited to model only type deliverables i.e. animations, on screen model manipulation etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report