Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble updating imported part

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
280 Views, 5 Replies

Trouble updating imported part

A customer sent me a .step file.  In order to produce the part that I need, I wanted to add some machining to his original part. Os I derived in his part and then added the features that I needed. Just a few tapped holes in one side.

Now, my customer made a few changes to his original part (added some detail) and he has sent me his new .stp file. I did not think it would be any problems if I just overwrote the original stp file with the new one.  But, if I do that, when I open my part, Inventor complains that the updated part is part is not usable.

I tried saving the imported file as a .ipt and then bringing that into an assembly and doing the machining there. But, now when I replace the imported file with the updated version, my features fail.

Is there a workflow that will allow me to update the part that is derived into another part? 

Using 2013,SP3-update3

Thanks,

Kirk

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: karthur1

Your updated part is looking for the link to the original file. By copying the new file customer file to the old customer file, there must be some geometry changes the is causing the derived link to fail. Most likely you will have to start over with the holes you need on the new model.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: blair

Blair,

I was thinking that I would have to start over 😞 but thats a bummer. There could be some other changes coming with his part.  He is working a different software and pushing the parts out to me via .step format.  I don't want to have to $redo$ my changes evertime he makes a change.

Kirk

Message 4 of 6
yannick3

Hi
Do you use save component during load option?
Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 5 of 6
blair

They way the both of you are working though, I really don't see any way around it. He pushes you a new part after you have modified the existing part. The idea of using the Derive was nice but the as soon as you save his new file to your parent for the derive, the links will be broken as the model will have changed outside of Inventor. This is where you get into problems with your Derive.

I would just hold off until he has finalized his design.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: blair

I can hold off, but there is some work that I need to complete... based off his part.

I did some testing and found out that if I use "Import" and import the new solid into the original.  I can then select the new solid in my derived part.  If I am careful how I build my features, this will work. Kind of limits what I can do, but at least I can place the new part in and not have to completly start over.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report