Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble snapping hole to point in extruded sketch

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
golond
940 Views, 2 Replies

Trouble snapping hole to point in extruded sketch

Hi, I've just started working in inventor 2014 and have run into a situation I could use a hand understanding.
I create a 2d sketch with somewhat complex geometry, and mark a center point based on that geometry. I then extrude the sketch. At this stage i am unable to create a hole "from sketch" that will snap to the center point.
What i can do is create a new sketch on the face of the extruded solid in the same plane as the original sketch, create a new center point in the new sketch, then snap a hole to that point.
Is this the expected behavior for center points? Is the extruded sketch unavailable for use because it isn't considered a face of the solid, but rather just coplanar with one of the faces generated by the extrude?
When adding a point to the second sketch there does not appear to be a way to snap to a point marked on the first sketch even though they are coplanar. Is the only way to have a center point defined in the first sketch to copy the first sketch to the second? It seems so hackish that I feel I must be approaching the problem incorrectly.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CCarreiras
in reply to: golond

HI!

After you create the extrusion, the sketch will be embedded in the operation.
In the browser tree, You can open the extrusion by clicking in the + and you will find the sketch embedded.
Right mouse button and select "Share sketch"

Now the sketch can be shared with other operations. 

If you wanna place a hole "by sketch", you can simply choose the point you need in the shared sketch (or remove clicking in Ctrl key).
After you use the sketch, you can turn off the visibility manually.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
golond
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for the quick response, Carlos!
The 'share sketch' feature was exactly what I was looking for.
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report