Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble opening large STEP file & temporary files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
G-Man
321 Views, 6 Replies

Trouble opening large STEP file & temporary files

I just got Inv 9 Pro a couple weeks ago and have been trying to open a large STEP file (76MB) from a customer for several days now. I have tried all the various pop-up options with results ranging from error messages about mis-matched drivers or unsupported geometry to actually being able to get a very small view of the assembly (after several messages that a required resource was unavailable). Getting the small view of the assembly has not be very repeatable. I usually get it about 1/3 - 1/4 of the time, unfortunately it takes 1/2 hour each time. Once, after getting the small assembly view, I immediately tried to save the assembly in Inv format. I received an error that I was using more than 80% of the available processing space and was promptly booted out. After restarting, I found that I now had over 2000 part and assembly files. However, they are all temporary files with the .newver.ipt or .newver.iam extensions that I still cannot access. Any suggestions for either opening the temp files or the STEP file? Since I am new to Inventor, do I possibly have something configured incorrectly?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: G-Man

The usual suggestion is to try to open it in MDT, stitch it to a solid and save it as a SAT file and import that into Inventor. -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "G-Man" wrote in message Any suggestions for either opening the temp files or the STEP file? Since I am new to Inventor, do I possibly have something configured incorrectly?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Kent Keller wrote: > The usual suggestion is to try to open it in MDT, stitch it to a > solid and save it as a SAT file and import that into Inventor. I just had the same nightmare myself. This site helps you a lot to reduce the size and increase the performance in such operations: http://www.prostep.org/en/stepportal/bp/cadkombi/ I also got first hand information about that Autodesk is working very hard to increase the performance for STEP files. I really hope this will happen in the next release. In the mean time, use this url and follow the STEPs :-) -- mvh Kleng Hodnefjell
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I am interested in performance and capacity issues related to large STEP files. Please send the step file to me if you can. Thanks, Wayne Catalfano wayne.catalfano@autodesk.com "Kleng Hodnefjell" wrote in message news:4178f4c3_1@newsprd01... > Kent Keller wrote: > > The usual suggestion is to try to open it in MDT, stitch it to a > > solid and save it as a SAT file and import that into Inventor. > > I just had the same nightmare myself. This site helps you a lot to reduce > the size and increase the performance in such operations: > http://www.prostep.org/en/stepportal/bp/cadkombi/ > > I also got first hand information about that Autodesk is working very hard > to increase the performance for STEP files. I really hope this will happen > in the next release. In the mean time, use this url and follow the STEPs :-) > > -- > mvh > Kleng Hodnefjell > >
Message 5 of 7
stevensf

I am still using IV8 and have brought in large step files, sometimes a 80mb file will take 30-45 min. if it was a type 214 it works better than a type 203. A few times when IV would not work I got better results with MDT(the file opened faster and was usable), I than saved the file and opened it in IV. I had one step file which openrd in IV8 as one part but when opened in MDT was multiple parts and than when the MDT file was opened in IV it was also multiple parts. I also think that it depends on what program and options were used to make the step file. We get step files from UG, SW and catia. Catia causes the most problem. Fred
Message 6 of 7
G-Man

Wayne,
Due to confidentiality issues with our customer, I don't believe that I will be able to send you the file.

G-Man
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

> > Wayne Catalfano wrote ... > > I am interested in performance and capacity issues > > related to large STEP files. Please send the step > > file to me if you can. > G-Man wrote ... > Due to confidentiality issues with our customer, > I don't believe that I will be able to send you the file. G, try going thru MDT; import, break up into smaller subassemblies, export. System resources and configuration, OS, OS SP level, all have a role to play in the process. It might be possible to expand your current capability. ------------------------------------------------------- Wayne, finding the limits is dirt simple. <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Topic: Import 2500 "Parts", Crash on Save From: Jeff Howard Date: Jul/01/01 - 02:26 (GMT) This isn't a grave concern at present, but something I'd like to resolve. I created a graphics test file a few years ago (Acad r14) that consists of: a cube, a sphere, a truncated cone, a couple of tori This group was then arrayed to create 2560 Acad solid objects. I tried to open both a .sat and .stp version of this with IV. It will open both but will crash while trying to save either. It appears that the problem is trying to save all the individual part files. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other aspects could be investigated by finding a complex model; casting, etc. and creating an array of it. All "real world" examples all consist of many faces, many parts. ===============================================

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report