Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble handling big assemblies

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
998 Views, 7 Replies

Trouble handling big assemblies

I just recently got a brand new computer with top of the line hardware hoping that it would solve my crash and slowdown problem.

Well it solved the crash part but my big assemblies are still very slow to handle on paper.

Moving my assemblies around is a real pain and takes forever, also when I transfer evertyhing into a 2D drawing, it takes an awful amount of time to create/edit/crop/break views. A simple touch up of a leader takes about 5 seconds to load and dragging a view require me to click and hold it until I see the view box finally move.

Am I doing anything wrong with the way my assemblies are.

I attached a PDF of the assembly I am working on right now for you guys to see.

I also attached the computer specs.

Looking forward to read what you guys have to say.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jletcher
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you trying to do your drawings with shaded view? If so that is the biggest slow down you may be having. If so take shade view off till you are done with the drawing the turn it back on to print.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jletcher

Yes I do use shaded view.

I have been turning them off and it has been of meager help.

And in that case, if it was the shading, what would you advise in assembly mode. Because you can't really turn shading off. Making it wireframe will make it worst.

Message 4 of 8
jletcher

If you are in the assembly and having issues look into your video driver make sure it is certified and current.

How many parts are in your assembly?

Message 5 of 8
swalton

That assembly looks small.

Are you using software mode graphics with IV? 

I do't use routed systems.  Does a similar assembly without the hoses run better?

I normally run with 3-5k components with 500-1000 uniques.  I don't have significant delays until I shade my drawing views.

I don't use adaptive parts and I fix all red crosses.  My sketches are all fully constrained.

Also, your laptop has two graphic cards.  The builtin Intel and the Nvidia.  Which one is active?

My specs:

Windows 7 64

12 GB Ram

Xeon W3550 @3.07GHz

Quadro FX1800

200 GB spinning harddrive.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

These are actually not routed hose or pipes, and no, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

As far as the driver goes, I have no issues running the software with any other components, it's just that at some point, there is so much to handle that it feels like the computer takes a while.

Is there any way to make an assembly lightweight?

I'm going to look into my NVidia advanced parameters and see how inventor is handled. 

Message 7 of 8
rhasell

Have you tried running your graphics in "Compatibility mode"?

I had/ still have this issue in the drawing environment where my machine slows down. You mention 5 sec for a leader, that it the clasic symptom.

Try and set your graphics to compatible. There is a serious bug with Inventor, and getting worse, there are more and more posts regarding graphics issues, and this started rearing its head with 2013.

"Application options / Hardware / Compatibility"

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rhasell

'm going to accept this as a solution for now.

Hopefully I'll get more answers investigating the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report