Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Creating Flat Pattern View

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bachxuanguyen
813 Views, 8 Replies

Trouble Creating Flat Pattern View

I just recently got into Inventor, it is a very new program for me. I'm having problem unfolding this part, I been searching for solution but was unsuccessful even though there are many results out there.

I'm created the parts successfuly with no error, but when I try to create a flatten view it kept giving me error. I notice that some people try to use chamfer to resolve this issue but I tried with no luck. Also, I play around with the gap size and still get the error. Maybe someone here could help me out and and create the flat view for me so I could learn how to do it.

Thank you,

Bach

Inventor 2011
Window 7, 64bits
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: bachxuanguyen

I noticed that your first sketch isn't constrained.
You might start here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I would not have used Extrude.

Most of work down to Corner4 could have been done with a single Contoured Flange feature.

I will try to post example in the next couple of days if someone else doesn't contribute a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Thank you, I will wait for your version of this part. It is alway better to see other's method and also I want to see the most efficient way to create parts similar to this.

I had look into that PDF before, I found it while surfing. I will look into that constraint.

Best Regards,

Bach

Inventor 2011
Window 7, 64bits
Message 4 of 9
M.Peppel

Hi Bach,

your part does not unfold decause of the way you cut the notches 5;6; 9;10. The way they have been made you created an edge that does not allow the part to be unfolded.

HTH

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo
Message 5 of 9
M.Peppel
in reply to: M.Peppel

Hi Bach,

to prevent the problem described above you should better use the proper corner option from the flange dialogue (see screenshot).

Cheers

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo
Message 6 of 9
bachxuanguyen
in reply to: M.Peppel

M. Peppel,

I was playing with it this morning and using the unfold button, I was able to unfold everything except the flanges with the round corner.

Right now, I played around with the corner gap size at 0.1, round; and hopefully get something to work, so right now I keep playing with it and see if I can fix it.

Thanks for the replies,

Bach

Inventor 2011
Window 7, 64bits
Message 7 of 9
JDMather

If the radius of the round corner cuts is not important and the angle of the chamfers not critical - this is one easy solution.

I have another solution if those angles and radii are critical.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 9

Thanks JD Mather, I couldn't open your drawing, I have Inventor 2011.

I remake the part using fold/unfold technique. It's a little bit longer but it work,  I was able to fold out everything.

Here is the new drawing I made. Looking through my steps, what other methods would you suggest to reduce the steps.

Best Regards,

Bach

Inventor 2011
Window 7, 64bits
Message 9 of 9
JDMather

You should put 2011 in your signature so that everyone knows.
I will try to post a step-by-step when I get a chance.

But you can see my feature tree from this image

Corner Bracket.PNG

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report