Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim Command Bug?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
DaveC_
743 Views, 11 Replies

Trim Command Bug?

I've had many crashes with Inventor while using the trim command. It happens exclusively when I trim a line segment that has no other intersecting line segments. That is the trimmed segment is contained between two conincented contraints.  This segment could alternatively be removed by deletion, thus this is my work-around. However, it is clearly a bug because it causes Inventor to become unresponsive on the order of hours rather than minutes or seconds. Sending this command should be disallowed or a fix for the computational issue that arrises should be implemented.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: DaveC_

Can you attach a file here that exhibits this behavior?

What version of Inventor are you using (including Service Pack)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
DaveC_
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply!

I am running Autodesk Inventor Professional 2014 64-Bit Edition Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Date: Fri 04/11/2014.

Unfortunately, I am not permitted to release my files for this project.

David

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

So, you only see this behavior in one file?

You can't reproduce this behavior in a simple file containing only a simple sketch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 12
DaveC_

I've tried to reproduce this behaviour in a new file containing simple geometry. The trim command seems to work as expected here. I've only ever observed this problem with particular file I am working on. This file has quite complex geometry and has several imported sketches from AutoCAD. Inventor seems to get really slow when introducing these AutoCAD sketches. I imported the AutoCAD sketches as blocks and I use them in my 3D model to define the geometry. I've found the importing of AutoCAD drawings quite problematic but it is required by the workflow my company employs.
Message 6 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! Before Inventor crashes, were you using Trim command (dynamically: drag cursor around to trim sketch geometry)? If yes, did you send in crash report? If yes, please send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can find the report you submitted.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 12
DaveC_
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello,

It is more of a hang than a crash. I.e. the screen fades to white and the cursor is indicating the computer is processing. I can switch the inventor window to the background and foreground and back, but, eventually the title bar says that Inventor is not responding and I can no longer do this. I have left it in this state for approximately 2 hours and it does not change from this state. I call this a crash-- but, perhaps "hang" is a better term. I never get presented a screen to send a crash report. I generally have to kill the inventor task. 

Yes, I am dynamically searching the geometry for things to trim. Trimable items are indicated by a dashed line overlay. However, it is fine here. It is only after selecting the particular line segment, i.e. those that could be delelted rather then trimmed, that I get this hang behaviour described in detail above.

Dave

Message 8 of 12
DaveC_

I was able to get a screen shot of the circumstances under which this problem occurs. I selected the arc below for trimming. (see the dashed line)

caused hang.PNG

Then the computer hangs for extended periods of time:

now hung window not responding.PNG

now hung window not responding 002.PNG

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 12
JDMather

I tried to replicate in 2014 and 2015 - I had no trouble.

Can you recreate this (save file right before attempting trim) and attach the file here?

I might suggest that you use Delete rather than trim in the meantime.

Message 10 of 12
DaveC_

Ya, I tried to replicate this as well in a different file and I was not able to. I don't know why the behaviour is particular to this file-- although I belive I have experienced this before in another one. I don't think it is data corruption issue or something of that nature.  I intend to use delete in the meantime, however, sometimes I trim instead by accident, then I lose my work.  However, there is definately still a bug present, clearly what is lacking in the code is the ability to go to a delete function in this situation automatically-- or disallowing this type of trim. I am very sorry, but I cannot provide the actual file this problem occurs in as it is against my company's policy. I understand this makes it difficult for the problem to get solved, but perhaps someone else will have the same issue and they will be able to provide the file.

Message 11 of 12
JDMather

If you still have the file - can you Show All Constraints and attach image?

It would be interesting to track down the source problem, but another option is simply to convert it to construction line type.

Message 12 of 12
DaveC_

I believe this issue is actually caused by a different issue with this file that has a lot of embedded Imported AutoCAD blocks in it, i.e. approximately taking 15 megs in the part file and correpsonding to over a million unconstrained lines. The existance of this data in the file is probably making some operations slow, i.e. like the trim command. If you've experienced something similar you can see a continuation of this thread here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/inventor-hung-crashed-related-to-autocad-g...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report