Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translucent parts

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tmccar
436 Views, 5 Replies

Translucent parts

In Inventor LT, it would be very helpful if some of my parts were tranlucent in appearance. I have  changed the "feature appearance" of the extrusion to Polycarbonate Clear" but it's still at the default grey.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: tmccar

Can you attach an ipt file here that exhibits this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
pcrawley
in reply to: JDMather

Changing a feature to some kind of clear appearance doesn't make that feature clear.  (Changing to a non-clear appearance should work though.)  To switch to a clear appearance, you need to do it at the part level - not the feature level - but that obviously affects everything.

There are ways to make some features have a different appearance by creating those features as a different body (as in "multi-body solids").  Each body can have a different appearance - and translucency is respected (until you derive it into another part...)

I did once see a hack/workaround to creating a snow-globe model where the globe was glass and the base was wood, but the technique was a bit of "smoke and mirrors" at best.  Suggest you stick with multi-body solids.

Peter
Message 4 of 6
tmccar

On the attached .ipt file, the properties of the square block are set to "clear - light"

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: tmccar

@tmccar wrote:

... if some of my parts were tranlucent in appearance.....

It appears that you are attempting to make an assembly of multiple parts in a single part file.
To do that you need to select New Solid option when doing a Extrusion (or other feature).
You can then set the Properties of the individual solid bodies.

There are several other basic problems with your part, including -

unconstrained sketches, a sick sketch, axis that is duplication of origin axis, workplane that is not needed...

I will try to post an improved technique later today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
tmccar

OK, I have tried creating new solids, and it works - thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report