Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translational/Rotational constrain for pin in slot.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Jason.Taylor
3939 Views, 17 Replies

Translational/Rotational constrain for pin in slot.

How do you constrain a pin so that it can translate/rotate within the boundaries of a slot? Please see the attached pic's.

Thanks,

Jason
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: Jason.Taylor

Transistional - not rotate/translate
Pick the side of the pin and the slot. I can never remember which order so try both ways.
Can you zip and attach what you have so far?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
mcgyvr

create transitional constraint.
Pick the cylindrical surface of your pin first then the flat face of the slot (on the inside of the slot).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 18
Jason.Taylor

I am trying to constrain the bolt so that it can translate / rotate around the inside perimeter of the slot. However, when I use the constraint "translate", I can only pick one surface to constrain the outside of the bolt to; not the entire inside perimeter which constricts the movement of the door that this retainer is attached to. I need to figure out how to constrain it to more than one surface (if possible). If not, any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Message 5 of 18
mcgyvr

Somehow inventor automatically knows about the radius portion of the slot and you only need to pick the flat face.

Did you try it as we said..it works just fine picking only the flat

(and you forgot to include the pin in your last zip file) Message was edited by: mcgyvr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 18
JDMather

Delete the tangent constraint.

Also I noticed none of your initial part sketches are constrained - you might want to read this document.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 18
Jason.Taylor

Yes, I tried to use the translation constraint picking the pin first and then a surface; however, when I attempt to "open the door" the constraints will not allow me to open it a full 90 degrees. The pin seems to get stuck in the corner of the slot.
Message 8 of 18
JDMather

>when I attempt to "open the door" the constraints will not allow me to open it a full 90 degrees.

I don't see a door. You will need to supply more parts.

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
mcgyvr

I believe you are over constraining something

See the attached sample. Its as simple as that
(done in INV2009 so I hope you can open it)

Message 10 of 18
Jason.Taylor

Can't open it. I am using INV 08'. I don't think that I have over constrained the model since the door opens when I use a tangent constraint. The only problem is that the pin doesn't stay within the perimeter of the slot.
Message 11 of 18
JDMather

> I don't think that I have over constrained the model
It is over constrained - delete the tangent constraint as instructed.

>The only problem is that the pin doesn't stay within the perimeter of the slot.
If you drive constraint it should stay within the slot. If you try to drag with the mouse Inventor cannot keep up with the calculations.

>Can't open it. I am using INV 08'.
Always state what release you are using when not using the latest release.

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
mcgyvr

Put a driven constraint on the door angle and use that to move it not the mouse as JD suggested.

I've attached an image showing all that is required for the trans constraint

Message 13 of 18
Jason.Taylor

WOW... Sorry to waiste everyone's time! I pulled the parts out of my top level assembly and assembled a smaller version (file size) of the enclosure and it worked perfectly (as long as I used one of the arms on the door retainer to adjust the door level)! I guess my rig isn't strong enough to handle the detail that i have on the top level assembly. Sad that it took me half a day to figure that one out!

Thanks for your help fellas!
Message 14 of 18
JDMather

Assuming you will place that hinge assembly as two instance of a sub-assembly make sure you right click on the sub and set it to Flexible.

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
Jason.Taylor

That is news to me! Thanks for the tip! I actually inserted each piece seperately because I didn't know the function "flexible". I will use that one in the future!

Thanks again,
Message 16 of 18
JDMather

You can Ctrl right click on the parts and Demote to a sub-assembly. Might speed things up.

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
Jason.Taylor

I tried that but the assembly with the pin and slot didn't "move" or rotate appropriately. I used the Flexible function. What gives?
Message 18 of 18
wjc44646

Had same problem. Don't know a lot about inventor just getting used to it.  But if you re-extrude your slot holes again with a surface instead of solid, that worked.  The surface button is in the lower left of the extrude pop up box.  It looks lik a hollow box and when you hover over it it says surface. Good luck. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report