Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring files from Inventor to Solid Works

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
n00kie.tdc
882 Views, 4 Replies

Transferring files from Inventor to Solid Works

Hi all!

Our company is being merged with another company. And we are working in different software.

But in the future we want to use the same software. Currently we are using Inventor and another company uses SolidWorks. So in the future the plan is to use Solid Works in both companies, that is because the majority of engineers form both companies are working with SolidWorks.

So I have a questions is there any easy way to translate the files into SolidWorks files?

As I udnerstood there is no way I can transfer Inventor files into SolidWorks files directly without loosing all the part features. All the files have to be translated into CAD neutral file like STEP.

So I am wondering- is that possible to schedule a task to translate all these files into STEP file format and also- would that be possible to schedule translation of a Custom Library?

Will be waiting for your suggestions.

Thank you,

Vadim.

Autodesk Inventor 2019
Running on Dell Precision 7720 laptop:
Core i7 6820HQ
16 GB RAM
Quadro P3000
Widnows 7 PRO, 64-bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mdavis22569
in reply to: n00kie.tdc

You can export them out as a .sat or .stp ... yes ...You could make an Ilogic rule that would do this for you ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jurgen.galba

Autodesk and Solidworks exchanged their kernels a few years back. This is why you can open native 3D Solidworks files into Inventor without exporting first to a neutral format like *.sat or *.step. Solidworks should do the same.

With a native import, only one translation takes place, as two translations were needed before.

The assembly structure will be rebuilt equal to the original dataset, for every part and assembly, you will get an Inventor file.

For parts, it is true that the built features will nog be transferred, you will only get a "base" feature in your part. So i guess in solidworks, this will be the same...

BUT, don't forget about you exsisting drawing. There is no (intelligent) way to open Solidworks drawings into Inventor, and i assume no way to open Inventor drawings into Solidworks. Unless you export the drawings to a autocad DWG, and therefore will loose the link between your 3D model.

Basicly, when you switch hard to another system, your old dataset become close to worthless.

Keep a few licences, so you will be able to revise your existing datasets. When you start new projects, do that with your new system.

- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam -
(I shall either find a way or make one.)
Message 4 of 5
n00kie.tdc
in reply to: jurgen.galba

Thanks for replies!

Yeah, I saw that it is actually possible to open IPT file in SolidWorks. Actually it is even possible to use Feature Recognition tool to get features in the parts! But it apparantly require Inventor viewer to be installed, which is not a problem. So actually it is not a big deal...

Though database is hard to be translated directly, I guess all the files have to opened one by one ...

otherwise have to save library files into STEP...

Autodesk Inventor 2019
Running on Dell Precision 7720 laptop:
Core i7 6820HQ
16 GB RAM
Quadro P3000
Widnows 7 PRO, 64-bit
Message 5 of 5
jurgen.galba

I heard before that you needed "Inventor" to open Inventor files into solidworks - thought that was just a bad placed rumor from the competion. Good to know the viewer does it as well.
- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam -
(I shall either find a way or make one.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report