Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Mass

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
keithc03
264 Views, 8 Replies

Total Mass

is there any way that the total sum of all the components Mass properties can be shown in a parts list

ie I need to total up a column not a row

Thanks in advance

Keith
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: keithc03

Check the tutorial "Part List Rollup Options" on http://www.sdotson.com
Message 3 of 9
keithc03

Thanks but the PDF wont download does any one have a copy they could send me

keithmchallinor@hotmail.com
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Sean specifically asks people not to transmit his tutorials without his permission. But if you follow this link you'll get the tutorial file you're after http://www.sdotson.com/freetut/parts%20list%20rollup%20options.pdf As you can see, there a fault with his link. Duncan "kmc" wrote in message news:571016.1075455198479.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks but the PDF wont download does any one have a copy they could send me > > keithmchallinor@hotmail.com
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Its got a problem with the shortcut link.
Remove the first "http://www.sdotson.com" in the address, and it will show up.
Message 6 of 9
keithc03

Sorry my bad
I will abide with Sean's requests
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the new link Duncan. I will be fixing the link on my site shortly. In the mean time the one Duncan provided works. -- Sean Dotson, PE Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert http://www.sdotson.com Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions www.sdotson.com/faq.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "Duncan Anderson" wrote in message news:401a2b57$1_3@newsprd01... > Sean specifically asks people not to transmit his tutorials without his > permission. > > But if you follow this link you'll get the tutorial file you're after > http://www.sdotson.com/freetut/parts%20list%20rollup%20options.pdf > > As you can see, there a fault with his link. > > Duncan > > "kmc" wrote in message > news:571016.1075455198479.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Thanks but the PDF wont download does any one have a copy they could send me > > > > keithmchallinor@hotmail.com > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I went through the tutorial and still don't see a way to effectively use the rollup options to show the total mass in a parts list. For one thing, suppose I have an assembly with 20 parts that are all completely different. In other words, for each field in the parts list, each of the 20 parts has a unique entry. In that case, which key would I rollup? Unless I create a dummy field that doesn't show and place a common value in that field for all 20 parts, I can't rollup them up into a single line item. (Would IV even let me rollup a key that doesn't show in the parts list?) And then, even if I have a field that I can use, when I do rollup all parts into a single row and do the property substitution (Mass for Mass + Sum of Values), I get the total mass value, but it also condenses my original parts lists that displayed the 20 individual parts. Even if I select a different view on which to base the parts list, IV won't let me have both the original and rolled-up parts lists at the same time. Like KMC said, I just want to total a column. If someone has a better methodology, please spell it out for me. I may be missing something simple here. However, I would think that it would be a fairly trivial matter for ADSK to add a check box to the parts list dialog that would allow us to display total mass if desired. It is not like the system doesn't already know that information. Maybe the standard practices in the industries I have worked are unique, but the total mass of an assembly has always been required information on drawings. (And don't get me started on the inability to format a column in a parts list to display feet-inches.) Thanks, Blane
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

An update to my previous message: My assembly has a total weight of 1444.4 lbmass. This is the value returned by both the iProperties dialog and manually adding the mass*quantity for each item in my original parts list. However, when I rollup the parts list and allow substitution to a sum of values on the mass property, a value of 2172.3 lbmass is displayed. As it turns out, this value is simply the mass of the first item in the list (108.615 lbmass) multiplied by the total number of parts (20). FYI, IV did let me merge on a key and then let me delete that field from the parts list. However, it still messed up my original parts list and didn't even come up with the right weight. I also tried adding a text item and thought that I might be able to insert the assembly mass property into the string, but that didn't work either. Blane

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report