Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Line Assembly Drawings & Component Drawings

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
vsookrah
1355 Views, 6 Replies

Top Line Assembly Drawings & Component Drawings

Hi,

I have an iassembly model with iparts in it. I am trying to make one absolutely complete model rather than have several models with redundant parts in it. For example having the full assembly and making a Top Line Drawing from that, but then also making a drawing from the individual components.

So for example I have a Top Line assembly drawing with a tank with all the fittings, gauges, and instrument panels shown. Then I would want to make another set of drawings showing the tank itself, fittings, gauges, and the instrument panel. My main issue is with the tank drawing; the tank drawing is supposed to be simply the tank so I would need to remove the fittings, gauges, instrument panel etc.

I would like to know if there is a way to "Hide" or "Supress" the components that I do not need for a particular drawing without taking them out of the model; yet at the same time removing it from the BOM because they wont be necessary at this level.

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers,

---

Vijai Christopher Sookrah

Mechanical Engineer, EIT

Aircraft Appliances & Equipment Ltd.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: vsookrah

Looks like you might want to look into "Levels of Detail".

These will do what you are looking to accomplish.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
vsookrah
in reply to: Cadmanto

LOD's do not update the BOM as I would like it to.

Essentially I have one assembly model with all parts in it. Then I make a Top Line Drawing from this, and then I would like to suppress some of the parts for a lower level assembly drawing, yet I cant figure out if this is possible or how this can be done with the use of Inventor.

Would the changes in the BOM have to be manual because we are trying to drive all changes from the model, not manually.

Another issue I had was that the LOD I created in the model does not show up when I go to choose the LOD from the drawing view; not sure why. Does anyone know whats happening here.

Cheers,

---

Mechanical Engineer, EIT

Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto

Oh, but they do.  I know there is a button in the edit parts list dialog window at the top to the right

that allows you to select the iparts from the factory that you want shown in the BOM.  I would show you a

screen shot, but I am at home now.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 7
vsookrah

I know what youre talking about.

The iparts for the specific iassembly being used are shown, but this is not what I am talking about.

I am trying to hide parts that I have suppressed in my model using LOD's. For example, I have an instrument panel suppressed for the lower level weldment, so the drawing view is showing only what needs to be shown, but the BOM still has the instrument panel listed.

This is something I understand LOD's cannot deal with, so I was wondering if there was a work around or if anyone knows of a better way to accomplish the same thing.

Cheers

---

Mechanical Engineer, EIT

Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto

Ok, unless I am missing something (which is possible) why can't you have iassemblies that have the specific

iparts spec'd out in them, then in the drawing for the iassembly specify in the BOM the specific iassemblies.

Wouldn't this work?

There is always the option of having multiple sheets in your drawing as well to represent the various different assembly configurations.

Also as a side note.  I know the terminology between softwares can be confusing as it is.  What I mean is you used the term "family table".  I know what you are talking about, but I suspect that you used to use Pro-E and that is where that came from.  "Family Tables"  in Inventor is something different then what you are speaking to.  In Inventor it refers to the table within the content center editor.  Just a little FYI tid bit.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 7
vsookrah

Not to be rude, but I think you are missing something, but I'll try to clarify.

So Im going to give a little more background to help with this.

I have a Top Level Assembly, which is essentially my final product. Below this are several levels; the weldment level and the part level. The weldment is also an assembly and obviously the parts level is simply parts.

For proposals we need to be able to bid the job, so I need a Top Level Assembly Drawing to make sure I've accounted for everything in the costs. For production we need drawings that detail the weldment and the parts.

So thats 2 levels of drawings, but as I'm sure youve noticed the Parts are contained in the Weldment and the Weldment in the Top Level.

So with this knowledge, I would like to streamline our process by creating 1 assembly file that can be used to drive the lower level drawings, but in order to do this I would need to hide the parts not in the lower level of drawings.

For Example:

Top Level Assembly contains:

- Tank Weldment

- Instrument Assembly

- Part 1

- Part 2

- Part 3

Tank Weldment contains:

- Part 4

- Part 5

- Part 6

Parts 1,2,3,4,5,6...etc.

So now say I want to make a top level drawing. This is fine, I make the drawing, I place the views and I place the BOM. No problems, but when I go to make the Tank Weldment, I have an issue.

In order to create the Tank Weldment I have to hide the Instrument Panel, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, which is fine because I can suppress them and create a level of detail so that when I go to the drawing I can choose this in my drawing views.

The issue is that I cannot remove the Instrument Panel, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 from the BOM.

I hope this makes this a bit more clear, sorry for such a long reply.

Hope it helps and hope it is fixable.

Cheers,

---

Mechanical Engineer, EIT

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report