Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top level BOM order

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
GangsterJon
658 Views, 9 Replies

Top level BOM order

I'm having an issue with the order of my BOM. In the picture below I have an assembly with subassembly STR-35-241-19L-17450. The BOM for the subassembly is on the right in the picture and is ordered the way it should be. However when I open the BOM in the Top level assembly (left in the picture) the order is not the same. In fact the order is completely random for the subassembly. I need this order to match the subassembly so I can export it into our ERP system.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

BOM issue.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: GangsterJon

Click the column heading of the column you want to sort by. It will show a little arrow indicating ascending or descending order.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 10
GangsterJon
in reply to: mcgyvr

My list is sorted correctly with in the subassembly. Sorting the top level assembly will sort by item number but the item numbers are not correct.

For example Item 1 in the subassembly is not Item 1.1 in the top level assembly.

I would like Item 1 in subassembly STR-35-241-19L-17450 to be Item 1.1 in the top level assembly and Item 2 to to be Item 1.2 and so on.

Message 4 of 10
mcgyvr

@GangsterJon wrote:

My list is sorted correctly with in the subassembly. Sorting the top level assembly will sort by item number but the item numbers are not correct.

For example Item 1 in the subassembly is not Item 1.1 in the top level assembly.

I would like Item 1 in subassembly STR-35-241-19L-17450 to be Item 1.1 in the top level assembly and Item 2 to to be Item 1.2 and so on.

Sorry hard to see your images when you paste them inline. But here is what you want.

hit the "view options" button in the BOM screen and select "view properties" then set it to "all levels" with a "." as your delimiter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 10
GangsterJon

Sorry I don't think I'm explaining this real well. I have "all levels" showing and that is where the problem is. The second level is not in the order of the second level assembly.

I attached the image to give you a better idea. In the picture I have 2 instances of Inventor running. The left is the BOM from the top level assembly. It has one subassembly shown with its children shown. The right BOM is that subassembly opened by itself in another instance. It does not have all levels shown because I just wanted to show Item numbers.

For example: in the top level assembly BOM

Item 1 = STR-35-241-19L-17450

Item 1.1 = 00-D-M0-005-7.13-V0-316 (should be STR-A-A1-002-241A85L-VB)

Item 1.2 = 00-D-M0-006-3410-V0-316 (should be STR-A-A1-002-241A85R-VB)

Item 1.3 = 00HW-07500-FW (should be STR-D-A1-001-35D-V0)

etc...

Thanks for the help

Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr

Its all in what column you are sorting by/reordering.. You can sort by part number then renumber if needed.

Message 7 of 10
swalton

From your picture, you have the sub assembly BOM sorted by Part Number.  Your top level is sorted by item number. 

Try sorting your top level iam by Part Number and re-number the BOM. 

Item numbers are driven by sort order and sort column.  They are local to the specfic file and do not cascade from a parent to a child.  Also, you can have different item numbers and sort orders between the BOM of an iam file and the Parts List on an idw of that iam.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 10
GangsterJon
in reply to: swalton

It sounds like there is no way to have the orders match since the sort order does not cascade from parent to child. I was afraid of this because each BOM is sorted manually and not in alpabetic order. That means the only way to create a master BOM that matches all the drawings is to manually sort about 700 part numbers.

It just surprises me that its done this way. Perhaps I can write some kind of iLogic that sorts the order properly.

Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr

oh wait..Let me guess.. Your ERP system has a field in each bom for "item number" which is supposed to correspond to the drawing and someone sold you on using that field.. If so be smart and forget you ever saw that. Its the worst addition ever added to an ERP system. We have it too in ours and luckily we are smart enough to know not to use it. I suggest you do the same. Its a maintenance nightmare.There is no good reason to require what you are asking for to be able to import bom's into ERP systems. The Inventor item number shouldn't be transfered at all.

If thats not the reason you are asking for this then you are overthinking something or whatever as there is NO need ever for the item numbers to match in the way that you seem to be asking. Don't waste your time.

Message 10 of 10
GangsterJon

Basically yes. Its not a field for item number but level and assembly number. I would love to be able to skip all this but the way its setup now it needs to go in order for assembly instructions. How did you import without item numbers?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report