Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

top assembly blow through BOM

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
JimSteinmeyer
738 Views, 5 Replies

top assembly blow through BOM

I have been unable to get the BOM for an assembly to give me a full bill for my top level assemblies. While the list of top level components is usually what I want, I would like to be able to add another sheet for the top level assemblies that has the full BOM of all piece parts of all the sub assemblies.

If I start a Parts List and set the drop down to all levels and the next to parts only, before selecting the view I would think it would give me what I want but after placing a list with all the different combonatins selected, my lists ALL look the SAME. WHere do I look to make this change?

I am using 2012

Thank you

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

You should be able to RMB on the parts list in the IDW, select edit part list, and then click on the + beside each IAM and expland it. This will expand your BOM.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: blair

Yesterday I thought this had solved my problem as I was able to expand the + signs in a drawing to get what I wanted. Today I created a drawing where even though every item was an assembly, there were no + signs. Now what? How can I get this option to show?

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 4 of 6
jeanchile
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

If I am not mistaken (which is becoming increasingly unlikely with age) this would be tied to your BOM settings in your assembly files. Try opening one of the sub-assemblies, going to the tools tab, and selecting Document Settings. From there select the "Bill of Materials" tab and see what it says under "Default BOM Structure".

Does it say inseperable or purchased? It may need to be normal to get these to show up. Also, I believe there is a setting when placing a parts list for it to be structured, and then some other options, check those. I apologize I can't be more clear as I am doing this from memory and my parts lists never need to show the "children" under the "parent" sub-assemblies so I am unsure.

Hopefully some of this helps. Good luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 6

Hi JimSteinmeyer,

jeanchile is on the right track. The ability to expand the parts list is controlled in the Assembly BOM. To adjust this from the drawing, right-click on the parts list table and choose Bill of Materials. In the BOM dialog, set the Structured tab active and then right-click on it and choose View Properties, then set the option to All Levels. Once this is done your parts list will have the option to expand, if the BOM structure of the components does not preclude it, as jeanchile mentioned.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 6

Curtis,

I finally had another oppertunity to use your sollution for this question. Can you tell that they keep me hopping back and forth? :D.  WHen I expanded the bill of one of the sub assemblies it first came in with the components numbered 4.1 4.2 4.3 ect. where the sub assy had been part 4 when assembled but due to sorting in the drawing BOM the sub assy was now part 18. Thus sub assy  was listed as 18 with components 4.1, 4.2 ect. I then attempted to sort the list  but now I lost the indented numbering. Maybe this could be solved by sorting the items in the assembly rather than in the drawing.

Another issue that I see is that when I expand the sub assembly tie BOM lists the number of components in each sub assembly and not the total needed. When I give a drawing like that to the floor I can guarrentee that they will not cut the correct number of components. Is there a way of getting the qty rto reflect the total number required?

Thank you

Jim

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report