Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's Inventor problem

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
inventorsucks
641 Views, 11 Replies

Today's Inventor problem

Please bare with me, writing is not my strong point.

So today, I opened a assembly to make a few minor changes (lol, nothing is ever easy with this software), when i went to flip a channel 180 degrees, inventor/frame generator let me flip it graphically (it showed it flipped in a wireframe image) but it would not let me edit the part, or save the changes.

I had to select a different family of parts then re-select the correct part, however i didn't wanna do this because it would destory my already done and checked dwg. Well guess what to late even after i hit cancel the program created a new part which cause a whole slew of problems trying to check the drawing back in.

The only way to get it to work was to create a new part (which is not acceptable, this part has a ton of dims. connected to it in the dwg)

Which lead to this little gem, when i shut down the assembly, and called it back up, and asked for it to overwrite the information with the information from Vault, which it didn't it brought up the changed assembly. So i then called our support/vendor, they informed me that I had to shut Inventor completely down and reboot it to get the old version of the assembly.

To me this seems absurd, I was told that Vault was able to preform this function properly....

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: inventorsucks

I'm sorry, but is there a question in there somewhere?

I have to ask, how much training have you had with Inventor?  I've been able to perform the same operations you are describing here with few or no difficulties.  I can't help but wonder how much is the program, and how much is training.  Not to downplay your frustration, because we've all ben there.

Message 3 of 12
inventorsucks
in reply to: cbenner

Training is not the issue, i have no other place to voice my opinions and problems with the software.

and here goes the question, is this correct, do i have to shut down inventor, in order to revert back to a older version even thou i opened the part threw the vault tab and told the system to overwrite it with the information from vault...if that is the case (which i was informed it is, then this has been a major bug that needs to be addressed and has caused me problems for the past year)

Message 4 of 12
cbenner

Can you describe your workflow?  When you originally made the changes, did you save the local copy and check the file back in to Vault?  When you re-opened did you reopen the local copy, or did you open form Vault using the Vault plug in?  Have you tried on your Vault tab (in the browser), Refresh?

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

I recommend that you find a competent VAR or consultant to come in and examine your workflow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 12

no i didn't save the local copy, not i didn't re-open the local copy, and yes i re-opened it from vault, told the system to overwrite the old information on my local drive with the information from vault, this is not a work flow issue, it is a inventor/vault communication issue, my vendor/support person told me that i have to dump the cache in order for this to work properly, which means i have to shut down and reboot inventor

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

My recommendation doesn't change, I think you should have a competent consultant come in and examine the workflow.

Virtually every time I take a look at problems like this I discover a dozen different confounding variables that the user didn't recognize.  It often helps to have a fresh set if eyes take a look, especially when a user has reached a certain level of frustration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
coreyparks

Did you have an assembly open that referenced the part you were trying to get the other version of?

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 9 of 12

I have experienced similar issues with trying to edit a frame generator part.  The Change window will show any adjustments you intend to make, but the OK button is grayed out.  A trick that sometimes works is look at your assembly from a perpendicular end view (like for a vertical assembly I'd click TOP on the view cube), then select edit with frame generator.  The part will sometimes then get detected by Inventor and let me make changes. 

I am finding that parts placed with frame generator, once you place like notches on it or something, are usually the ones that won't let you edit it w/ frame generator afterward.

I also agree w/ Corey's comment about if you have the file you are trying to revert back to an earlier instance, having another file open that contains this file can be the culprit.  When I change back a version, or when someone else on my network updates a reused file I currently have open in an assembly I'm currently working in, I save / close / reopen my assembly and the updated child file will adjust to the version it's suppose to be at. 

And in response to some of the other comment on this post:

The forums are a good place to vent, and a great place to problem solve.  I repeatedly see people advising "get a consultant" in this community.  Although this is always a viable option, the point of these forums is to be a "watering hole" or a discussion board for us to post topics that other users can see.  This gets actual issues in front of Autodesk's eyes, allows others who have experienced similar issues to divulge helpful information, and allows users that want to help problem solve to do just that.  Just sayin'. 

Thanks!

- Clara P. Sandoval

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Message 10 of 12

I worked around most of the issues, one issue was the content center was changed from our 2013, (i don't know why) to 2014 change over. However, this brings up another good point, why wouldn't inventor not retain the information and allow me to flip the part???

As for the assembly it was, or seemed to be a maxed out memory problem, Inventor doesn't dump memory, i think they are pushing the limits of the software, and asking (or trying to make it) be smarter than it is.

Vault, well lets just say i don't have these problems with Excel files checking them in

Message 11 of 12
KimBruns
in reply to: clara_csdrafting

Clara,

"The forums are a good place to vent, and a great place to problem solve.  I repeatedly see people advising "get a consultant" in this community.  Although this is always a viable option, the point of these forums is to be a "watering hole" or a discussion board for us to post topics that other users can see.  This gets actual issues in front of Autodesk's eyes, allows others who have experienced similar issues to divulge helpful information, and allows users that want to help problem solve to do just that.  Just sayin'. "

Touche!

Kim

Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000
Message 12 of 12
pcrawley
in reply to: KimBruns

If the conversation with your vendor is written here verbatim then it is time for a new vendor, but I suspect (by the lack detail) that the conversation may not be entirely factual.  You don't help matters by giving clear, repeatable, step-by-step instructions on exactly what you did.  It's the only way to help us (unpaid-non-Autodesk-employees) help you.  If we can repeat your problem, then we'll all gladly get behind your cause and ask Autodesk to fix it. 

But that's just my opinion, and Clara says I can have it.

You do not have to close Inventor or reboot the PC to get an old version of any file from Vault.  To get an old version I suggest the following workflow:  (I use the word component to mean part or assembly.)

1. Delete all the existing related files from your working folder. (Just to prevent any confusion)
  2. Check-out the component(s) but DON'T get a local copy.
  3. In the History tab, find the version you want to retrieve. (In your case, it's the assembly that contains the Frame Generator sub-assembly).
  4. Right-click the version and select "Get/Checkout" - Download these files. (In your case, make sure it is getting ALL the related files.)
  5. Use File > Open (rather than "Open from Vault") in Inventor to open the component.

Step 2 is only there to allow you to work on the component once it's open.  You can skip the step providing you understand how to check-out a file without getting the latest from Vault.

As for the Frame Generator problem that started this thread, it's hard to know what caused that without more detail sorry.

Hope the workflow helps. 

Getting an old version od an entire assembly "as it was when it was checked in" has to be one Vaults greatest features - in my opinion (thanks again Clara).

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report