Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title Blocks

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Talayoe
691 Views, 6 Replies

Title Blocks

Hello all,

Age old question; Title Block Creation.

I took an existing title block out of another document and pasted it into my 'standard.idw' file, modified it, made it the default title block and it looks pretty good. Problem is, having saved the 'standard.idw' file it saved it under a project header and now everytime I open said new drawing I get the error that it is not part of my existing project. Obviously.

Is there a way to create this file, with my new title block and not get this error, supress or have it projectless?

Also, with that in mind my other problem, which I am sure is related, is that I put an image in my title block, which gives me e error that my picture is not located in the current project. Currently I bypass that one by hitting skip and it still retains my image, which is fine.

These two things together are slight annoying but I can live with it until I deduce a way to kill these errors.

Any help would be super swell.

TIA!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
harco
in reply to: Talayoe

Save the new idw template in the template folder.

Save a copy of the image in the template folder or a folder that exists in all of you projects.

Open the new template from the template folder and when it asks where the image is point to the copy in the template folder then save.

Hope this solves you problem, any existing drawings that ask for the image, don't skip, but point to the centrally located image.

Images are annoying in idws.

If you can, draw the image in the title block using Inventor lines and arcs rather than inserting the image.

This usually makes the idw file size smaller and has no links to manage.

Message 3 of 7
Talayoe
in reply to: harco

Thank you.

I do have a DWG of our company logo in Mechanical but when I tried to import it, it came along with hundreds of dots (arc related as far as I could tell) and I could not delete them or hide, otherwise I definatly would have gone that way. If you had any suggestions as to cure this I would definatly rather go that way.

thanks!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Talayoe

Hi Talayoe, 

Edit you title block definition and re-insert the image, but this time uncheck the Link checkbox found at the bottom of the insert image dialog box. This will embed the image into the title block, rather than linking externally.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 7

This works nicely but keep in mind, if you are using a large BMP it is now inside every drawing and bloats the size of each and every file.  Linking does not not do this.  That being said I still embed inside the file to save headaches myself.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 6 of 7

HI coreyparks, 

That is a very good point, and something that should be considered. Using a photo editor to reduce the image dimensions and file size can sometimes help, but it depends largely on the image file involved.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 7
Talayoe
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Well, after a bit of 'leg' work, I ended up using it as a CAD file instead of the image. You are right in that it takes up much less space (not that I care about that) and it actually looks alot cleaner then the image.

Thanks! 🙂

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report