Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip of the day (large assemblies)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
148 Views, 2 Replies

Tip of the day (large assemblies)

When working in a mixed environment (Inventor and ACAD/M DX), in order to detail assemblies you first need to derive them into a part. However, when you are working with a large complex assembly (think of an entire escalator assembly for example), the derive part option just isn't up to it and it won't derive. This work around is non-associative, so should not be used for work in progress. Save assembly as STEP. Start a new companion drawing in DX. Click cancel when it asks you to choose an inventor file. Insert -> STEP... Switch to layout1, RMB and create new view. I thought this was pretty cool. Happy St. George's day. John Bilton
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Back about v4 or early v5 (there's an old post in the archives) time I did some tests exporting STEP, importing into MDT and detailing. I don't remember all the in's and out's, but the gist of it is that you can xref an assembly into a new drawing to do the detailing. If you "refresh" the assembly; e.g. export a new STEP, import into MDT, name same as original, open the drawing of the assembly; most or all of the annotations attached to parts that were not changed would remain intact (? memory is the second thing to go). Might be worth picking up and working on. ============================== "John Bilton" wrote in message news:408934b8$1_1@newsprd01... > When working in a mixed environment (Inventor and ACAD/M DX), in order to detail assemblies you first need to derive them into a > part. However, when you are working with a large complex assembly (think of an entire escalator assembly for example), the derive > part option just isn't up to it and it won't derive. > > This work around is non-associative, so should not be used for work in progress. > > Save assembly as STEP. > Start a new companion drawing in DX. > Click cancel when it asks you to choose an inventor file. > Insert -> STEP... > Switch to layout1, RMB and create new view. > > I thought this was pretty cool. > > Happy St. George's day. > > John Bilton > >
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the tip, I will experiment with that next week. John Bilton

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report