Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

threads on bolts and rods

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
samuelreed
1723 Views, 5 Replies

threads on bolts and rods

Hello,

I am relatively new to Inventor.I use Inventor 2013.

My question is:

I have created a nut from scratch and used the hole feature to make the thread.I then take the diameter of the threaded hole in the nut and then make the rod the same diameter as the thread size.Is this made correctly or would you create this differently?

I check for interference between nut and rod and there is none.Should there be interference?

Thank you

Samuel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: samuelreed

You have created the external thread OD the wrong size.

Examine both of these parts carefully.

You should observe  that there is not a real thread on either one of them - only a cosmetic picture that sort of looks like a thread.

Go to the hardware store and purchase a mating nut and bolt.

You should note a major diameter and minor diameter to the threads of both.

Note that the major diameter of the external thread is greater than the minor diameter (the hole) in the nut.

This hole is called the tap-drill size.  My #1 pet peeve in all of engineering design is when designers do not understand that the tap-drill size IS NOT the same size as the fastener - otherwise there would be no material in which to cut the thread - no material for the mating helix to engage.  I harp on this for 4 years and still my seniors turn in projects with holes the same size as the fastener.  I jump all over people who post here who are getting paid to do this work and make this beginner mistake, and then they get offended.  Better they get offended by me here, than to send a beginner mistake like that to the shop floor.

Let's push for a new law.

Anyone using Inventor or entering an engineering program of study must first complete a 4 machinist apprentice program.

To answer your question, yes there should be interference, especially since there is no thread geometry on the parts - simply cosmetic representations.  Your cylinder is the wrong size.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
samuelreed
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you

What thread size should it be please.What am i looking for so as to get this correct for future models?

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

@samuelreed wrote:

What thread size should it be please.What am i looking for so as to get this correct for future models? 

I suspect that isn't your real question.

There is not anyone that can answer the question you have asked without more information.

I think what you really meant to ask was, "What diameter should the cylinder be for the external thread of size .... ?"

The Machinery's Handbook has specifications for fasteners.

Not only have you specified two different thread diameter M16 and M17, but also different pitches.

Go to the hardware store and purchase some fasteners of different sizes.

Purchase some drill bits and a set of threading taps and dies.

Purchase a piece of aluminum stock.

Purchase some steel rods of various diameters.

Purchase a set of digital calipers.

Model these fasteners in Inventor as close to real measurements as you can.

Practice out in the garage drilling and tapping holes and threading the rods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
samuelreed
in reply to: JDMather

I think what you really meant to ask was, "What diameter should the cylinder be for the external thread of size .... ?"

Yes i meant as you have above for these 2 models i attached

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

The thread on the Nut is an M17.

The shaft should be 17mm (or very slightly smaller) and the thread should be exaclty the same specification as the nut.

What is the purpose of these threads?

If you intended to 3D print these - there are no actual threads to print, only pictures.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report