Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threads not working on 3D Print Preview or STL

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Ozy311
6434 Views, 11 Replies

Threads not working on 3D Print Preview or STL

I did not initially have Excel installed, and installed Excel 2013 after seeing many forum posts about that being an issue, but I still cannot get threads to work.  When threads are applied they seem to look like a 2D texture wrapped around the cyclinder instead of actually be on the surface.   When the item is previewed in 3D Print mode or as an STL, it does not have the threads.  I'm evaluating Inventor LT for 3D-printed part prototyping, so threads are a key item!

The requirements didn't mention if needed to be 32-bit or 64-bit excel, so I tried both versions without any success.

Please see my screenshots below.  Thank you!

Screenshot 2014-02-25 18.25.18.pngScreenshot 2014-02-25 18.25.33.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
BeKirra
in reply to: Ozy311

"Threads" are a kind of  "decal". They are images stuck on cylinder face. Drawings that are exported to STL or STP format will loose all images on the 3d body surfaces.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 12
Ozy311
in reply to: BeKirra

Then how do I use inventor to apply real threads because that seems a bit silly that it is for visual use only.   The list of preset choices were quite good, so I was excited to see it.   I hope this is not true.  😞

Message 4 of 12
brendan.henderson

You need to model the threads, or use the Thread Modeller app from Autodesk Exchange.

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=autodesk.appstore.exchange.autodesk.com...

Edit :- just re-read your email. You're using Inventor LT so the app won't work. Start modelling!

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 5 of 12
BeKirra

The Answer is "no simple solution". You can actually draw "threads" by using "sweep", "coil" etc.

I think that there are probably too many reasons to explain that inventor doesn't provide the "real" thread function.

But the simplest one is the file size, I guess.

On the other hand, the answer to "images are not exported to STL file" will leave to autodesk.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 6 of 12
Ozy311

So Inventor LT can't do threads, yet Fusion 360 can?   How can a hobbiest who wants to do 3D printing get into this market then?  It seems frustrating to isolate it from LT and make it such a manual process.   I'd be willing to learn how to use the sweep technique.  Any links to a good tutorial?

*grumble*

Message 7 of 12
BeKirra

I am not familiar with "Fusion 360". But knew that the Inventor Fusion has discontinued.

The "HELP" is the 1st step to learn all basic functions.

Simply search "sweep", for example, in the HELP to learn it.

Frustrations?

Again, "Autodesk does not sell Inventor to make the world a better place, they sell it to make money." said by someone in this forum.

We learn Inventor because we need to make money, too.

X² + Y² = C²
Message 8 of 12
Ozy311

Inventor Fusion was discontinued as the replacement product, Fusion 360, is now officially out.  The "modeled" checkbox in Fusion 360 produces the threads as a modeled item.   I have used sweep and coil, but do not know how to use those tools to make real threads that work since I can just have this tool in Fusion 360 do it for me.

"Again, "Autodesk does not sell Inventor to make the world a better place, they sell it to make money." said by someone in this forum.  We learn Inventor because we need to make money, too."

I feel as if you are treating me poorly because I am an enthusiast that is looking to take that next step up into more robust solutions and not a "Pro" who should know everything.   I am surprised that their more expensive product does not do this natively.  

So I guess my pending $1600 quote for LT Suite and Subscription isn't enough profit for Autodesk to care about product synergy across common product lines on such a simple feature?

Screenshot 2014-02-25 20.50.14.png

Message 9 of 12
BeKirra

Before creating threads, you need to grab a handbook of Bolt and find out the details of threads (ie. thread type, pitch...).

Again, look into the HELP for "sweep" then create a simple part. You will be fine.

Attched is a simple block for you.

It is 2014 version. Holp you can open it.

Many people feel frustrated when using inventor for their job (not only for learning).

I understand what you feel as my feeling even worse when I started to use it.

I don't know why you use inventor LT.

You may start a new thread by giving more details. People in the forum will help you to choose the right package for your job.

X² + Y² = C²
Message 10 of 12
blair

If we were to model a large assembly with thread detail (3d cut threads), most systems would be brought to their knees. The quick graphical representation of applying a bit-map to show threads on either a both or threaded hole retains system/model speed.

The deployment and costs reductions of 3D printers has only taken off just in the last couple of years. For simple models to have an actual 3D thread profile would work fine. This would not be the case for larger assemblies.

With all the different standards and thead profiles, you should aquire a copy of "The Machinist's Handbook". This book should be on the desk of all designers and engineers.

If we need to "cut" threads on a part, the first book we grap is the Machinist's Handbook and then create the sketch that matches the desired standard and then use the "Coil" command to create the cut thread on either the shaft or hole.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
Ozy311
in reply to: blair

Thank you for that insightful reply.  I am indeed trying to find a program for good 3D modeling to prototype parts, not complicated assemblies onto 3D printers.  I own 4 FFF printers and a high quality 25 micron SLA printer that can print working bolts and threads right off the print bed.   Threads play a large part in my design needs, so this information is good to know.   It also seems that Fusion 360 is more targeting this market.   The main thing I dislike about Fusion 360 and really prefer about Inventor is the parametric approach to model editing.  I do not like "history" or "undo" work environments, and prefer being able to supress or modify parameters that construct a model, where Inventor seems to shine.

I will look on Amazon for the book you mention.   I am surprised that the Thread Modelers App plug-in does not work with LT.  Do you know why this is the case?  Regardless, I also read that the threads generated with that App do not accurately consider which part of the thread is the real diameter of the part.

You mention using coil, the other gentleman gave an example using sweep.   I'm curious of which is better.   I am also interested in a workflow sample on generating the proper thread using dimensions from that book.   If the workflow isn't too difficult,  I do not mind applying the threads by hand.   I would think these could be saved as iParts, but the LT version may be limited.  This is all hobby now without any real income, which is why LT is at the edge of my price point, and normal Inventor is right out of my price league for now.

Thank you for your replies.

Message 12 of 12
JDMather

Modeling a cut thread is relatively easy and can be set up parametrically to change sizes/pitches as needed.  So once it is done - not much different than the Fusion 360 tool.

Exactly what are the specifications for your thread?  I will produce a model that you can reverse engineer in LT and then create any thread you need.

Pretty basic stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report