Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threaded lines from thread features in section views

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jparks_79
5548 Views, 9 Replies

Threaded lines from thread features in section views

Hello,

I seen lots of posts regarding thread lines and features in drawing, but I did not find anything conclusive that answers my specific situation.

Here is the issue we have found. While sectioning a view of an assembly in idw, the threaded lines of threaded features have a strange behavior depending on the section line used. I have attached a simple example that shows what he have found. Basically, if the section line is straight, threaded features show correctely. Independent of section participation. If the section has segments at different angles, then lines are not appearing.

The first three views have both parts excluded from section participation(Obviously, there isn't any real life need for this, but I did it to just simplify the illustration without adding a bunch extra parts) The base view is the top view or view showing the round shape. For the first example at the bottom, i simply projected the view to the left and made sure "Threaded Features" was selected. Threaded lines show fine.

Second example is the similiar, except the i used a section view instead of the projected view. Both parts are excluded. Section line is straight. Verticle in this example. Doesn't have to vertical as the line is straight.

Next example is similiar to the second, only difference is the section is not straight. You can see the threaded lines do not show. This is the problem we want to solve. How to make the threaded lines display!!!

Last example shows the same section, only this time the component is included in the section participation. And it works.

If anyone knows of a setting to change or a trick to make it work, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, i think i need to issue a support request with autodesk.

Thanks,

Jeremysample sections

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Paul-Mason
in reply to: jparks_79

Two things spring to mind.

1) The treads line type in the style settings

2) Thread Feature in the display options.

As you can see from the tow attached files one with threads feature OFF the other with threads feature ON

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 3 of 10
jparks_79
in reply to: Paul-Mason

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. What happens if you exclude the threaded part from the section? and only section the ring?

I am able to get the same result you did in the very top example in my image. I have the problem on parts i do not want to participate in the section. Like the example boxed in red. I need the threaded lines in this type of view. My display options are the same as yours.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 4 of 10
kstate92

I feel your frustration, but I have no answers.  I've never gotten an answer for a pet peave of mine (attached).  I made this screen cap over FOUR YEARS AGO, and Inventor 2010 still exhibits this behaviour.  Yes, I can turn off the line visibility, but that results in the ENTIRE vertical line disappearing.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 5 of 10
Paul-Mason

The only way that I can think of to exclude the mid section or other end is to construct that part as small assembly and then sections, using the options in the

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 6 of 10
jparks_79

Hi Paul,

You are almost there. Do you notice how the threads only showed on the sectioned part of your view? How would you now make the threaded lines appear on the unsectioned part of the view.

Thanks for all the time spent!

Jeremy

Message 7 of 10
Paul-Mason

It's  rear that I section threaded parts unless it is for a specific reason

I know what I for got to do thought as in the attached.

So that just shows how often I section a threaded part.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 8 of 10
jparks_79

Hi paul,

Would you mind taking a look at the attached file? It is inventor 2012 format. How would you recomend displaying the thread lines in section view c-c?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 9 of 10
Paul-Mason

See attached with orignal and section view-1.idw with note below each giving changes.

Hope it is of some help.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 10 of 10
jparks_79

Awesome Paul!

I didn't think to turn on hidden lines to disply threaded features, but it works!

Thanks again for all the effort!

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report