Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thread modeler

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
hnegahdar
1794 Views, 8 Replies

thread modeler

Hi there, I can't download "THREAD MODELER plug-in" for inventor 2011.

Is there anybody out there help me to find out why?

Thanks,

Hashem.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: hnegahdar

Do you use Whitworth threadform?

It is pretty easy to create your own iFeature threads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
blair

The CoolOrange Thread Modeler on installs on 2015, 2014 and 2013 versions of Inventor might be the reason.

Capture1.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 9
hnegahdar
in reply to: blair

Thanks for letting me know.
Message 5 of 9
hnegahdar
in reply to: JDMather

Hello, Thanks for  your suggestion. I am new inventor and autocad user and I am an old machinist too. I didn't take class. I just use up people's blogs and books like yourself to do what I need to do.

I use inventor to create STL files for 3d printing in my machine shop. It is so easier to 3d print some plastic parts rather than to machine a chunk of plastic.

I need to use all sort of threads sometimes, metric, imperial or American's. 

Is there any article regarding "thread and iFeature" that is able to help me and keep me to stay far from classrooms?

I appreciate that.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@hnegahdar wrote:

...I am an old machinist too. ...

I also worked out on the shop floor for 8 years as a machinist.

Set up the part with a 60°single point cutting tool - just like on the lathe, and then do a Coil-cut feature. (there is one little trick required in your release)

Because 3D printing is not as precise and machining - you will have to step the tool over and take a second cut as well to give you the clearance you need.

Attach your *.ipt file here for further instruction.  (BTW - I don't think that add-in would have given you the geometry you want.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 9
hnegahdar

Hello,

You are absolutely right about 3D printing that it doesn't do the proper job yet however, i enjoyed 3D print some gears. I've followed your instruction to cut the thread using "coil" command and also printed the part but as you said,I had no choice to pass my bit few times on it on the lathe to make it workable. I've attached the .ipt file as you instructed.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

As you gain more experience - you really should concentrate on fully constraining your sketches.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Also - you should see if you can find the Service Packs and Updates for 2011.

Message 9 of 9
hnegahdar

Hello,

I'll concentrate more on constraints. I could find inventor 2011 sp1 and sp2 in Autodesk website but I am not sure that I will be able to update by myself.

If it really necessary then I must ask somebody to help me with this.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful, I appreciate that.

Hashem 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report