Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not really a Autodesk Inventor question.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
freegoodkharma
778 Views, 12 Replies

This is not really a Autodesk Inventor question.

This is not really a Autodesk Inventor question but I am trying to get a regular job using Autodesk Inventor.

I was talking to a engineer at a company that is hiring draftsmen to make some drawings and he asked me for a link to some of the drawings that I had produced for some of the freelance work I have done in the past.  All of the work I have done in the past is private property and is not on line.

What is the best way to create a portfolio and post it online without spending a lot of money.  I have many objects and drawings in many formats.  Any thoughts or information will be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: freegoodkharma

@freegoodkharma wrote:

What is the best way to create a portfolio ....

Carl T.

1. Get a book from the library and reproduce the mechanisms.

2. Model stuff around you.

3. Create solutions to the problems posted daily here and use them as examples.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
blair
in reply to: JDMather

Or find products that the company is question has producted and create portolio's of "their" products. Solid models, drawings, exploded presentation drawings for parts cateloges and some renders for brochure work.

If you log the time involved for each of the "jobs", it also provides a level of competence. Maybe you are extremely proficient and can knock out the work in half the time of there existing staff or produce work that exeeds current levels.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 13

I probably should have stated that I have a bunch of stuff going back to AutoCAD for DOS, and 3D Studio.  The question should be "Where is a good place to put my stuff up on Web." and is there really anywhere for free.  I have posted drawings on to Grab Cad but people re-rendered them to a lesser quality, I do not know why.  

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 5 of 13
blair

Myself, I would burn some CD's or DVD's depending on the total file size. Do a nice HTML interface so they just need select the "index.html" file. A resume with a disc attached, stands out from the rest of the "leter" resume's.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

@freegoodkharma wrote:

..."Where is a good place to put my stuff up on Web." ...

Carl T.

Wix.com is one site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 13
freegoodkharma
in reply to: blair

I used to do that, ( I guess that is old school now.) but now many companies no longer accept or handle paper resumes. This guy was like just email me a link to your website. everybody says free this and free that but I do not have good experience with free. I wish there was a place like Face book to post drawings and models. I have posted a couple of models to Grab Cad but they seem to have disappeared. Thank you. Carl T.
Message 8 of 13
blair

If you are on subscription, you do get some free storage space on Autodesk 360 and as long as you list the items "Public", they can be viewed by supplying links to the website.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 13
LT.Rusty

Try Dropbox.

You can keep a folder of sample work that is sync'd to your local hard drive, and then send a link to anyone / everyone that wants to see your work.

Use this link to sign up for free, and you and I will both get an extra 500 MB of space: https://db.tt/PQqvTp8N  This means you'll start off with 2.5 GB.  (Anyone else that feels like giving me some extra space can certainly sign up with that link as well! 😄 )

In order to sync to your hard drive, you'll need to install the app.  Otherwise, you'll have to manually upload your stuff.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

@freegoodkharma wrote:
..... everybody says free this and free that but I do not have good experience with free. I wish there was a place like......

Feel free to ignore my suggestion.

My students have been using Wix for years.

Message 11 of 13
IgorMir

And what's wrong with having set up your own web site? Especially, if you are in the business for quite some time...

Lucky you your prospective employer shows some interest in your work. There is a chance you might get one...

Cheers,

Igor.

@freegoodkharma wrote:
.... This guy was like just email me a link to your website. ...

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 12 of 13

Thank you all.  I am going to do all most everything that everyone has suggested.  I am going to go with Wix.com to build a page, compared to others I have looked at they seem like a very good deal.

I thought it would much harder and more expensive to set up my own website than it appears to be to me now.

Thank you JD, blair, LT.Rusty and Igor.  I am going to take all of your great advice.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 13 of 13
dgorsman

That does seem a bit odd - not everyone is in the business of setting up and managing a web site.  I would hope someone in the design business would be more focused on their tools and field of trade.  If they are expecting an electronic portfolio, they should be able to provide an FTP or other location you can upload to.

If you have a limited or sole proprietorship business that might be a little different, as you would be using it to establish your corporate identity.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report