Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this a bug or is there a setting somewhere?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
alanambrose
487 Views, 4 Replies

this a bug or is there a setting somewhere?

Hi,

OK before someone yells 'design intent' here it is: I am desiging a headset that needs to fit a number of different sizes of heads. I have an original head part with various datums marked on it. I have derived an assembly (image 1) with a number of copies of the head part each at a separate scale factor to represent the 1st to 99th percentage population stats. Each part is constained to the same anchor point (at the top of the head) so I can ensure my headset design fits the population. I have shrinkwrapped the multi-head assembly back to a part - this is the item I'm going to design a headset on top of. So far, so good.

This all works pretty well ... the shrinkwrapped part has all the bodies and the 3D modelled points anchored to the same datum. BUT all the 3D sketches havn't been constrained with the solid bodies (image 2) - they seem to still be set around the original Center point.

There we have it - how can I get the 3D sketches moved to the right place so I can start work?

TIA,

Alan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
swhite
in reply to: alanambrose

Perhaps start a new assembly, place the shrinkwrapped head inside it, then place each sketch as a seperate part in the assembly and constrain them in place. Perhaps by making multiple copies of your original sketch as parts and deleting all other instances but one in each new saved part. Painfull, yes, but can't think of anything else at the moment. Hopefully someone will be able to provide you (and therefore me) with a better way 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 5
alanambrose
in reply to: swhite

Thanks Steven,

Weirdly I just added a couple more scaled instances to the assembly and shrinkwrapped part and this has somehow forced some sort of update and pushed the 3D sketches into place - odd as they should have had the same recalc cycle as the other sketch details. Anyway happy designer - now to actually start what I planned in the first place...

Alan

Message 4 of 5
swhite

Perhaps it didn't do a full update, am sure you know about the global update, but have had instances where I have actually had to open a part or subassembly before to get it to fully update in an assembly, even when shown none was needed.

Update.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Just based on the images you show, it does seem like lacking an update. If you see some behavior not making sense to you, you can either post the files here or send them to me directly. I would like take a look and see if there is anything wrong.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report