I'm in the process of designing a fixture using "Schunk" parts, i.e. vices, chucks and soft jaws. I've downloaded the 3D models for these items from the Schunk website and I've modified the soft jaws to suit the components I need to grip.
However, when everything is put into the assembly I cannot define which item is which. This is because the downloads won't adopt the new individual file names I've given them. Everything is still "SCHUNK-0154125 Weiche Aufsatzbacken SFA 400-C6". When I get the Schunk model I will rename it to suit the drawing configuration i.e. "C10347207.ipt", "C10347209.ipt" etc. Inventor still shows these renamed models as "Schunk-0154125.....ipt" in the browser. When working with the .ipt parts this isn't too much of an issue. The problem comes when it's in a assembly, all these schunk jaws are are shown in the browser panel as "Schunk-0154125.....ipt" and not "C10347207.ipt", "C10347209.ipt" etc. In the drawing parts list it does show the part/file numbers correctly, i.e."C10347207.ipt", "C10347209.ipt".
It's not a major problem, but it is irritating, especially when other colleagues are opening up my files and cannot follow what's happening. I know I can right click on the file in the assembly browser to see what the part number is, but that's not the point. This only seem to happen with Schunk GmbH parts and no other third party suppliers 3D models.
All I want is for these renamed models to mirror my naming convention throughout not Schunks!
Anybody any ideas??
The browser display name was probably manually entered when the part was originally created.
Open the part file.
Double click on the part name in the browser and delete the contents.
This will force it to display the filename of the part.
Also have a look at the iProperties Project tab.
It may be that you need to re-mane something in there.
Thanks for your replies, but the status quo remains.
I cannot click on the part name to delete, amend, or clear, the file name. it just won't let me do that. I've already tried Paul Mason's suggestion to clear/amend the iProperties file, and again it doesn't make any difference.
i've tried to amend the downloaded part as soon as it's on my PC and I've tried to amend after renaming to suit my companies naming configuration.
It's more of a frustration than anything else. I can still modify the part files to suit my needs, it's just the file naming convention.
Schunk clearly wants everyone to know that this is their file/component at whatever cost, regardles of the inconvenience it causes.
Once again many thanks for your input.
You must be able to click and change the name in the browser. it's the same way you would rename a file anywhere else.
I downloaded a part from Schunk and was able to change the display name without a problem by simply doubleclicking on the name and deleting the contents. Inventor then replaced it with the filename.
How are you renaming the file originally?
I opened the file and then did a "SAVE AS" to the filename of my choice.
I keep all my vendor files in a seperate folder should I ever need to go back to one of the original vendor files for any reason.
i've saved in exactly the same way as "mpatchus"
download - open - click "Save as" - rename - save
It saves it to a file with the naming covention as requested. But, in the browser panels it's still named as "schunk....".
This carries through into the assembly file as well. It must be a setting on my PC that's the issue, (and not Schunk). I don't know if there's an issue with the Schunk site, so I'll try to open a file up from Cadenas and see if I have the same results
When it's a little less manic, I'll check to see if it acts in the same manner with older downloads from Schunk, and from other third party suppliers.
Many thanks for your input!!
Can you post a link to the site/parts. I going to have a try
Is this by any chance an iPart or just a normal part?
OK don't matter about the link, fond the site and part. Had a tinker with it NO PROBLEMS
Made Changes to iproperties , see attached ipt file
Save As - Give it a new & unique name.
Created a test assembly with mew/renamed part, see attached iam file
No problems with new/renamed part-name showing as the old file name for me only see the new part.
NOTE THAT I USED SAVE AS, AND GIVE THE IPT A NEW NAME, NOT SAVE AS COPY
3 Files attached
Part As Test.iam
SCHUNK-0154129 Weiche Aufsatzbacken SFA 140-C1.ipt
To follow two files pngs of the changes that I made
And the two png screen shots
Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.