I have a user that ran into this little gem today.
Updating an assembly, he needed to change out two parts for two others. One is an iPart where he simply selected a different part from the table, the other he performed a "replace component".
When he attempted to store the assembly back into Vault, he gets prompted to save the files and as you would think, gets the "Save" dialogue box to pop up listing all the files he needs to save upon checkin. The problem comes when that dialogue box lists the files he replaced and never checked out. They are set to "YES" for the save and the status is at "Write Enable (not checked out from Vault). If he selects and toggles the "Yes" (save) to a "No", he gets this error:
If he backs out of this and looks in the browser tree of the said assembly, he see the parts he replaced still being listed:
Any idea of what the heck is going on here? I've never, ever seen anything like this.
Jim, I've had this error and a few other vault errors based on the same type of scenario. Happens when replacing Frame generator items and demoting items. I've had the Vault browser in Inv show me that a part (or assembly?) is in 2 different assemblies when I know they are not and can show in the assembly models they are not. There is no easy fix. I've got 2 cases outstanding with our supplier. The only hint I have is that these problems occurred when our Vault dbase size was getting close to its maximum storage size. So after significant purging of versions and trimming of unused CC members and parts/assemblies the database size was reduced and the errors went away. I can't get our supplier to confirm in writing/email this is the problem but 2+2=4! I should mention that we are using free Vault (now Vault basic I think) on a 2011 install, and the server is runnng the free light version of SQL which has a dbase limit of 4 gig. Next monday we are upgrading to the full SQL version which I'm told is limitless.
Just yesterday I had an instance of replacing a CC part with another CC part but Vault reporting that it could not check in the original parts I replaced! I ended up placing identical members again, checking them in, then deleting them from the assembly, finding the member sin Vault and manually deleting them. Fix my problem.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.