Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The diameter symbol in inventor.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
cmscanto
12827 Views, 13 Replies

The diameter symbol in inventor.

Hello everyone. In my drawing I have encontered a problem with the diameter symbol because there are two different shapes apearing depending in the way I generate the dimension. The problem can be found in the atachment. 

Have looked into the font but it is the same, it seems when the diameter is autogenerated by inventor it has a "o" shape and when I add afterwards in the text box it apears as a "0". Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
MechEng_1
in reply to: cmscanto

I think you have attached the wrong image!!

Message 3 of 14
-niels-

You are right, inventor has 2 diameter symbols for some reason.

Diameter_symbol.png

The first symbol is the grey one from the top, that looks like the 0.

The second is the one a few places down, that looks like the O.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 14
cmscanto
in reply to: -niels-

Sorry for the wrong image. Smiley Happy Thanks very much for the quick reply it solved my problem.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
okaleja
in reply to: -niels-

Hi,

Symbols in the first row (grey) are using current font used by dimension style. All other symbols below (light grey) are using AIGDT font. That's the difference.

Hope this helps,

Oto Kaleja

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 6 of 14
-niels-
in reply to: okaleja

Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 14
204Е10

Hi, I want to create a style according with BSI and I can't change the kind of font in the symbol that Inventor generate automatly like diameter symbol. Also, I can't change the kind of line in the Datum Target, that it is always Continuous. I have attached a imagen with both problems. Also when I use the OSIFONT.ttf font and I create a PDF file, the font that it is create it is very close one to other. Thanks. Antonio.
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 14
skatzY7HV8
in reply to: okaleja

In the attached picture, the top dimension is for holes and the bottom is for diameter. The top is using RomanS and the bottom is using the AIGDT. They don't look very good next to each other (printer doesn't like AIGDT either).

Any way to prevent Inventor from using the AIGDT for the diameter? This character is automatically added with the diameter. I know I could turn that option off in the style and add it manually, but that is not a good solution, just a work around.

Message 9 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: skatzY7HV8

@skatzY7HV8 wrote:

In the attached picture, the top dimension is for holes and the bottom is for diameter. The top is using RomanS and the bottom is using the AIGDT. T

Can you provide your drawing file or more detail?

When I use the "Hole and Thread" dimension tool to create a dimension for a hole and then use the regular "Dimension" tool to create a dimension for an extruded circle (diameter) my symbols are exactly the same (AIGDT font for the symbol and Arial font for the text after it)

Maybe you used different symbols when setting up your dimension style and used the blue instead of the red circled one from this image..

Diameter.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 14
skatzY7HV8
in reply to: mcgyvr

I did use the one circled in blue (symbol in chosen font, RomanS). Is my best option to just use the one circled in red (AIGDT)? I would prefer to use RomanS if possible.

Message 11 of 14
mcgyvr

@skatzY7HV8 wrote:

I did use the one circled in blue (symbol in chosen font, RomanS). Is my best option to just use the one circled in red (AIGDT)? I would prefer to use RomanS if possible.

You want consistency..

Pick and adjust as needed to ensure consistency.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 12 of 14
skatzY7HV8

Thanks for confirming my fears. Perhaps Autodesk will fix this at some point.

Message 13 of 14
mcgyvr

@skatzY7HV8 wrote:

Thanks for confirming my fears. Perhaps Autodesk will fix this at some point.

@skatzY7HV8  I may not be understanding.. Consistency in a drawing is 100% possible today... It simply involves using the proper diameter symbol in each dimensional scenario..

You currently are using a mix.. Nothing to really be fearful of.. Just use the same one at all times..

Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Brian is right. If you want to use a specific diameter symbol, the key is to make sure you pick the same one. We have heard some feedback on the various diameter symbols available in Inventor. The issue is not that simple. First, we have to support some AutoCAD standards. And, we also have to conform with the font and industry standards (with region difference). Not one symbol can dictate. As a result, there are variations.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report