Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
821 Views, 12 Replies

the attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result

I am experiencing a very frustraiting problem.  Everytime I try to put a base view into a title block (.idw) I am getting this error

"Create Drawing View: problems encountered while executing this command.

-The attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result.  Try with different inputs."

I am using version Inventor 2012

I'm pretty sure this has to do with my computer and perhaps a corrupt file, but I can't seem to figure out where.  I've tried re-installing the program, but that hasn't solved the problem.  I've figured it's my computer because I can take the same drawing, using a different computer, and placing the view on the titleblock.  I can open existing titleblocks on this computer, but as soon as I try to make a change to the file, it gives me the error message.

I know it's not connected to any particular file either because it doesn't matter what I try to put on the titleblock.  I created a simple block, just a 2D sketch extruded and tried to put that on the title block and got the message.

The frustraiting part is that I don't know where to look for the problem.  I don't know if its in the modeling of the object, or in the title block.

If anyone can help, that would be great.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you installed all Service Packs?

Did you migrate this idw title block (template?) from an earlier release - or create from scratch in this release?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

As far as the titleblock goes, it's the one that came with the program when I installed it.  I've tried an imported titleblock and still come up with the same result.

as for the service packs, i havn't installed anything since the original install which had a couple of things that were installed with it.  Are there other service packs that I should have installed?  If so, where would I find them?

Message 4 of 13
JDMather

A simple Google search turned up this url

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in...

a little more Google searching turned up this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-3-fo...

and more searching turned up this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-4-fo...

make sure UAC and anti-virus are temporarily disabled during the install of these Service Packs and Updates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Does it happen to every drawing you try? Or, it happens on specific model? The behavior does not sound right to me. Could you post an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

I downloaded the service packs, but when I try to install them I get a "the upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the corect upgrade patch."

If I look in my control panel, programs and features tab, the Inventor program is in there.  Is there something else I may be missing?

johnsonshiue, it happens to every drawing I try weather it's something I import from a site online, to a simple cube created on the spot.  I dont have any examples of a secluded error because if I take the drawing to another computer it works without a problem.

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  ....

Go to the Inventor Help>About Autodesk Inventor>Product Information and grab a screen capture of your product information.

Cut out the serial number information and then post the screen capture here.

Message 8 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is just wild guess. Could you check the \Design Data\ folder in the active project has been fully migrated to R2012?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Go to the Inventor Help>About Autodesk Inventor>Product Information and grab a screen capture of your product information.

I can't find where this is, is it when you hit F1 in the program or would this be in the program file in the windows explorer?

Johnsonshiue:  where would I find the \Design Data\folder?

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't find where this is, is it when you hit F1 in the program or would this be in the program file in the windows explorer?

About.png

Message 11 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! To find the \Design Data\ folder, go to Project dialog -> Folder Options. Where is it mapped to? Is it mapped to an old \Design Data\ folder? If yes, you will need to run Style Library Manager tool to migrate them to the current release.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

johnsonshiue:

This is what I'm looking at (attachment below)  It's showing all the options set to default, but there doesn't seem to be a location actually set for default.  Is this on account that I'm not loaded into an actual project, or am I missing a file or destination?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report