Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you AutoDesk.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
mrattray
796 Views, 19 Replies

Thank you AutoDesk.

Thank you for creating a superior product that knows when I don't really want that last 10 minutes of work I just did.

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: mrattray

Was singing that exact tune yesterday except replace 10 minutes with 15 minutes Smiley Very Happy

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 3 of 20

Now wait just one cotton-pickin' minute.....we all signed that legal and binding contract when using this software where the catch-all, save their arse phrase of "save often" is listed.

Now in the theme of President Clinton, it depends on what the definition of "often" is.

Obviously it's under 10 minutes in this case.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 4 of 20

We have all learn't the lesson the hard way, save, save, save.. often. Doing so reduces hangs to almost zero. Smiley Wink

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 5 of 20
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: rhasell

Thats all well and good for what i call a 'hard' crash.

But i sometimes get what i call a 'soft' crash.

Sometimes inventor 'crashes' in the background and lets you keep working away non the wiser.

Then when you reopen...the last hour of saves did nothing.

Used to happen a fair bit back on 2009/2010 but not so often on 2011 and less on 2012

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 6 of 20
Jason.Amess
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

I think you'll find that Inventor was so impressed with your desktop picture that it decided you needed another look.... immediately.

Jas
Message 7 of 20
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: Jason.Amess

My personal fav. is when this scenerio happens...

"OK Im just going to extrude this last sketch and then I will save.... "(Extrude Performed), (White Snowy Background Appears), (Blue Ring of Death Appears) CRASH. 

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 8 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

That's exactly what happened in that photo, except I was just going to deselect that punch center and then save. Of course if it wasn't for IV's random mid-save lunch breaks I wouldn't put off saving. The truly worst part was that I had fixed some faulty geometry right before this and it must have taken me half the morning just to remember what I had done to fix it.

I don't like to make posts like this but I needed to vent and everyone in my office had gone home for the day. This was all I could do to keep my fist out of the monitor.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 20
cbenner

Do you check your processes before forcing Inventor to shut down?  Sometimes what appears to be "Not Responding" and the infamous rolling donut of death... is just a slowdown.  Lots of times it WILL come back if you give it long enough.  Sometimes... not so much.

But... I have to say... Pro E was the worst I've worked with for CTD with no warning whatsoever.

Message 10 of 20
Paul-Mason

What is even more annoying is when Autodesk LOWER END software, NO I'm not knocking or anything like that, AutoCAD has a setting for automatic timed saves with out user interaction.

So the question should be "AUTODESK WHY CAN'T THIS AUTOMATIC SAVE BE INCORPORATED INTO INVENTOR SOONER RATHER THAN LATER??"

May be we should start a petition for this to be included in the next release or two

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 11 of 20
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: Paul-Mason

Or have it make a Recovery Save (similar to when ACAD crashes) I can understand the problems that can arise (Crash during an Assembly, which parts, sub-assemblies, files, etc... does the program save as Recovery?) But there are always solutions to problems, they just have to figure them out!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 12 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: Paul-Mason

That's definately the AutoDesk way.

Don't fix the crashes, just include an autosave feature!

I'd like to point out, by the way, that I finally got around to doing a forum search to see why I can't reorder component patterns. I wish I could say I was surprised by the answer. But why fix a basic thing like that when you could just implement an infinately more useful iCloud?!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did Inventor hang or crash? Do you have the files that can reproduce this behavior? If so, please send them to me and I would like to try it on my machine.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 20

OMG - NO!!!!!! No to Autosave in Inventor (or any other parametric modeler). Last thing I want to have the CAD program do is save in the middle of me trying to design something, not knowing if that's the path I want to take or not.

I'd much rather risk the crash than have an autosave!

Inventor is used as a design tool, thus autosave would be a killer during the designing stages.

Just save your files when you reach a specific point and it's the result you want.

But then again, you could always give up Inventor and use Solidworks, afterall I hear it butters your toast for you each morning...seriously, just as the two guys I just had this type of discussion with.....ugh. SW must have some very good flavored Kool-Aid they hand out to their users.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 15 of 20

Dan,

If I recall, if Inventor does crash you can access the file in the "old versions" folder (or something along those lines) and there you'll find the file as it was right before the crash. Inventor does seem to save the file when a crash happens....or it seemed to at some point.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 16 of 20
dan_inv09

(When I hit Reply and have to log in the reply is always to the post at the top of the page with multiple page threads, luckily this is the other post that my reply will be relevant to)

It would have to be a recovery save because as (now I don't know who I was really trying to reply to) said before (or would that be later?) sometimes I'm messing around with a design and just want to see what something would look like if I tried doing something a little different - an autosave could end up being worse than a crash. So maybe in addition to the old versions folder there would be an autosave folder that would work the same way, or something.

Message 17 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It was a hang that it refused to come out of, after waiting several minutes I killed the process and moved on with my life.

I have the files but when I came in the next morning and pulled those files back up I went through the same modeling steps as before (the best I could remember) and IV did not hang or crash. This seems to be a completely random occurence in that I can't find any common denominator between what I'm doing each time it crashes/hangs.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 20

I agree with CDS.  If I'm in the middle of something heavy I'd rather it NOT try to autosave.

Ever since I started using AutoCAD back in 1992 I've learned to save often.  So I save in between commands, multiple times throughout a string of commands, etc.

I do that with all software that I use, not just AutoDesk software.  Even if they use autosave I would still manually save my work regularly.

CelticDesignServices wrote:

OMG - NO!!!!!! No to Autosave in Inventor (or any other parametric modeler). Last thing I want to have the CAD program do is save in the middle of me trying to design something, not knowing if that's the path I want to take or not.

I'd much rather risk the crash than have an autosave!

Inventor is used as a design tool, thus autosave would be a killer during the designing stages.

Just save your files when you reach a specific point and it's the result you want.

But then again, you could always give up Inventor and use Solidworks, afterall I hear it butters your toast for you each morning...seriously, just as the two guys I just had this type of discussion with.....ugh. SW must have some very good flavored Kool-Aid they hand out to their users.

Message 19 of 20
GSE_Dan_A

I understand the problem with the Autosave and that you may not want to continue from the point of crashing, that is why when it does Autosave (forexample in ACAD) it saves it has (file name)_recovery.  So you have the option of loading up the original file (file last saved before the crash) or the new file (point at which your file crashed).  Giving you the option to continue or to revert back. 

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 20 of 20
rhasell

The Autosave feature in my eyes is a big NO NO. The _recovery is a good idea, but I still use the "Old Versions" as a "Poor man's" Vault. (Don't have the OS to run it in the office. 😞 So Old versions are a god send.)

I mentioned that saving often reduces crashes/hangs to almost zero, my take on it is that UNDO has something to do with it, when you save it must clean out something. I also find that using undo on a complex instruction will cause a hang.

The one thing that does get me is I have one or two drawings that worked fine albeit complex, but will not open anymore, the only way to open them is to defer updates, the second I update the drawing BANG, all gone.

I ran an excercise of deleting individual views before updating, but I ran out of time before finding the ofending view, so the exercise is currently incomplete...

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report