Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texture

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tborland
728 Views, 10 Replies

texture

pls see attached .jpg texture picture...what steps are required to have this available to use in INV 2013.I want to use it on a metal floor..How do i import it into INV 2013

Regards

Tont Borland

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: tborland

Tont,

See if this link helps you.

http://www.trainingtutorial.com/TAT5.htm

FYI though, if you go to the styles library and under color there is a perforated metal 01 color that is very close to what you are looking for.

perf.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
tborland
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott

For some reason i do not have the same information visible in my Styles and Standard Editor.Your pictures shows your Styles and Standard Editor has all the materials/colors visible.How do i get my Styles and Standard Editor Library to show all the materials/Colors.There is a pictures i have included to show my Styles Editor for comparison with your Styles Editor.

I`m assuming i cannot do anything regarding Textures if my Style Editor has nothing available

Thanks

Tony

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

Tont,

The styles I showed you a pic of are right out of the box for me.  We are using Inventor pro 2012.

DIdn't the link I gave you in my last posting show you how to import textured finishes into the styles library?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 11
trumpy81

Tony, in Inventor 2013 the styles library has been relocated to the 'Appearance Editor' which can be found on the Quick Access Toolbar at the top of the screen.

The button you're looking for is the rainbow colored circle to the left of the 'Appearance' box.

To grab that texture you showed without the symbol, go back to the website, click on that image and the texture will display in another tab or window in your browser, right click and choose 'save image as', saves you having to modify it later.

To use the texture, first, open a part or assembly, then click the rainbow button, then either duplicate an existing color or

click on the sphere with the blue cross located at the bottom left of the appearance editor and choose an apropriate template.

Using the 'Metal' type as an example, first rename the template to your desired name. Next, checkmark either the 'relief pattern' or 'cutouts' selection and then click on the 'type' drop down box and select 'custom' or 'custom image'.

You can then click on the box underneath the 'type' drop down and select your texture.

When you are happy with your creation, DO NOT forget to Add it back to the library. Failure to do so will mean you are only able to access your custom colour within that part or assembly file.

HTH

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 6 of 11
tborland

Hi Andy

Thank you for the explanation.I followed your steps but could not get it to work.I have picture attached of what i did.Can you see if i have missed something.The texture was saved on to my desktop.Does it need to be in a certain folder?

I selected Metal from the sphere with the blue cross located at the bottom left of the appearance editor and choose Metal

Tony

Message 7 of 11
trumpy81

Tony, I should have mentioned scale. In the Texture Editor (picture of custom image 2.png) set the scale to something like 0.12 inches instead of 12 inches as it is in the picture.

There seems to be an error with scaling that was supposedly repaired in Update 1, but I haven't seen any evidence of that as yet. You'll also notice that the texture does not show up in the Texture editor, which makes life difficult also.

There are a lot of errors with the new appearances that really need to be addressed IMO. I'm hopeful that they will be taken care of in SP1, but there is no guarantee of that.

In the meantime, I have attached a picture of what I was able to achieve using that texture. It didn't turn out the way I thought it would, especially when you consider the transparency in the texture (the pink color). I expected to see holes in the material, but that did not happen. I will examine the texture and experiment with it and let you know what my findings are.

The settings are:

Type - Stainless Steel

Finish - Brushed

Relief Pattern - Custom Image

Amount - 2.00

Texture Editor

Brightness - 100

Position - 0 & 0

Rotation - 0.00

Scale - 3.80 mm W & H

You can play with the above until you are happy with the results.

Good Luck and Happy Inventing!

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 8 of 11
tborland

Hi Andy

Thanks to you.I see what you mean by it does not look correct.

Tony

Message 9 of 11
Doug_DuPont

Tony,

Make sure the name of your color ends with a &. Example Rasied_holes&.bmp

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 10 of 11
tborland
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Thanks Doug

I will fix

Tony

Message 11 of 11
trumpy81
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Thanks Doug, I eventually figured out that I had forgotten about the naming convention, but you beat me to the punch.

Anyhow, I ended up creating a cutout to match the texture. I've attached them here.

Both files should work once you play with the scale settings to suit the piece your working on.

Regards
Andy M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report