Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text alignment in idw

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
dominiekvanwest
1799 Views, 12 Replies

Text alignment in idw

Hi,

I want to align 2 text fields, but depending on the text the top, middle and bottom alignment doesn't work. See attachment for a better explanation.

How can I align the text so it looks like the last rule?

Thanks in advance!

Dominiek

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: dominiekvanwest

Which font are you using?.. I just tried it with the Arial and it works how you want it. 

Of course you said 2 text fields.. Can't you just move the fields to get them to line up how you want? or is this in a parts list or something? If so might need to switch to a different font as it seems that problem is font specific.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 13
dominiekvanwest
in reply to: mcgyvr

I just tried it with the Arial font too, but I still have the same problem (see attachment). Can you post a screenshot of yours, to compare?

I can't just align them because they are parameters, so once they can contain the letter g, another time they can contain the letter h.

Message 4 of 13
mcgyvr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 13
dominiekvanwest

That's only 1 text field, not 2, of course they line up correctly then 🙂

I have 2 text fields which I want to align correctly.

Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr

ohh..sorry I see what you are doing now.. 
I've never used (nor needed) to use the "align" command where you can select 2 or more text fields..

The align text command in Inventor just aligns to the outer bounds of the text fields using that command..it just does not work how you want it to..

Message 7 of 13
dominiekvanwest

It's not only for 2 text fields. For example the title block: if you have a parameter Title, 2 different drawings, the text for project g and for project h don't align (see attachment). That really doesn't look good.

Message 8 of 13
mcgyvr

@dominiekvanwest wrote:

It's not only for 2 text fields. For example the title block: if you have a parameter Title, 2 different drawings, the text for project g and for project h don't align (see attachment). That really doesn't look good.

yeah I know.. Just don't use Inventors "align text" functionality.. Thats the problem.. You can simply manually align the box and be done..

Once you have used the "align text" function those boxes will attempt to stay aligned.. But if you don't use it in the first place the boxes will not be tied to each other and it will look just fine..

again.. Don't use the align text function at all.. 

Message 9 of 13
dominiekvanwest

You can't uncheck the align buttons (top, middle, bottom) in the 'Format Text' window.

So even if I put my text fields with no constraints to each other, they stay on the same place (whatever text I put in it), which means the text is still not aligned properly.

Keep in mind the text can change and it doesn't always contain the letters g and/or h (if it would, I would have aligned them manually myself like you just said, with no constraints to each other, but unfortunately the text can change)

Message 10 of 13
mcgyvr

@dominiekvanwest wrote:

You can't uncheck the align buttons (top, middle, bottom) in the 'Format Text' window.

You don't have to.. Just leave them at whatever you want (top is fine..) then place your text fields.. Move them till they align and be done with it..

see attached.. This is 4 text fields.. The bottom row was just copied from the first and I simply changed g to h and it still looks just fine.. 

If you ever use the align text function thats where your problems come up.. if you just manually align it will work just fine

Message 11 of 13
dominiekvanwest

That's not exactly correct. You used top align initially, and with the capital letters of PROJECT it doesn't matter if you add g or h to the text, it will align good. So, why don't I use that then, you'd say. Well, what if I want to use only small letters or Ü (notice the double points above the U), the alignment will change again.

Message 12 of 13

Hi dominiekvanwest,

I think mcgyvr's comments are correct about the Align text tool and the way it works / does not work. But here are a couple of things to add that might help in getting you the result you're looking for:

You can click the Single Line Text button (red arrow on the right) and then click the Baseline Justification button to hold the base line spacing when low hanging charachters like lowercase g are in play.

Autodesk Inventor Text Align.png

The text above on the left uses baseline justification, the one on the right uses bottom justification.

You can create a line in a sketch and use that to constain to for alignment, and then set it so that it is only visible in the sketch.

Autodesk Inventor Sketch Only.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 13

Thank you, I have tried many different things, but just didn't look enough for that baseline button. That solves my problem! Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report